Designated: March 18, 2003
Current Owner: Douglas County School District RE-1
Nominated By: Janet Herman and Suzie Cushman
The Hilltop School is one of the last remaining examples of a small rural schoolhouse in Douglas County. Built in 1898, the Hilltop School served children from the community of Hilltop and Elbert County until 1954.
The two-acre school site consists of the original schoolhouse, coal shed, well house, oil bunker, and outhouses. All of these structures remain on the property with the exception of the horse shed. Since closing in 1954, the schoolhouse has been cared for by the Hilltop Social Club.