Contractor Licensing Fees Waived in Unincorporated Douglas County
The Douglas County Board of County Commissioners has determined that waiving the collection of contractor licensing fees is in the best interest of both the business sector and the citizens of unincorporated Douglas County. Therefore, effective July 1, 2013 the licensing fees for Contractors of all types and classes, as set forth in Sections 116.3 and R116.3 of Resolution No. R-009-061, are hereby waived and shall not be collected by the Chief Building Official until further resolution of the Board of County Commissioners.
The waiver only pertains to fees, all remaining requirements for Contractor’s licenses as set forth in Douglas County Resolution R-009-061. The 2012 International Building Code, 2012 International Residential Code, 2012 International Plumbing Code, 2012 International Mechanical Code, 2012 International Fuel Gas Code, 2009 International Energy Conservation Code, and the 2011 National Electrical Code, shall remain in full force and effect Resolution R-012-110.
General contractors, roofing and mechanical contractors must be licensed with Douglas County. Electrical and Plumbing contractors must be registered with Douglas County by providing proof of Licensing with the State of Colorado.
Contractors are required to submit proof of Workers Compensation Insurance (if applicable) and Business Liability Insurance. Douglas County’s Contractor Licensing process is not intended to be a “Preferred Contractor List”. Douglas County will not recommend contractors, and a contractor license or registration does not guaranty the quality of work beyond meeting minimum insurance requirements.
Property owners are encouraged to:
- Clearly communicate expectations to contractors in writing
- Obtain and check references, and ensure contractor’s obligations are clear and in writing prior to commencement of work
- Clearly define in writing all work and payment schedules
Contractor Registration Information
- Douglas County has no testing requirements.
- Registration applications take two (2) business days to process once a full and complete application is received.
- The Registration payment will need to be made in the form of either cash or check and payment must be included as a part of the application.
- All contractor/sub-contractor registration must be completed/updated prior to the issuance of a building permit.
- Application for Contractor Registration
- Separate application forms must be completed if applying for more than one registration type.
- Please print clearly on the application form.
- Applications must be filled out completely. Signed and dated.
- Applications can be submitted in person or by mail to the Douglas County Building Division, 100 Third Street STE#20, Castle Rock, CO 80104.
- Electrical or Plumbing applications can be faxed to 303-479-7271.
- Statement of Exemption Form
- This form must be completed only in the event that your company is exempt with the State of Colorado from Workers Compensation Laws.
- If your company carries a Workers Compensation policy, we will need a certificate from your insurance provider.
- Affidavit of Lawful Presence
- Complete and sign the Affidavit of Lawful Presence (CRS Title 24 Article 76.5).
- Photo ID or a copy of a photo ID (i.e. Colorado Drivers License) must be included with the Affidavit Form.
- Insurance Certificates
- Policy holder/Insured name must match the name being listed as Company Name on the application.
- Effective/expiration dates must be valid.
- Single occurrence limits on liability must be at least the minimum amount required as listed in the amendments. Please note that we look at the “Occurrence” area, not the “General Aggregate” on the policy.
- Douglas County Building Division must be listed as Certificate Holder on the Certificate. This applies to both liability and Workers Compensation.
- Certificates must be signed and dated by an agent of the Insurance Company.
- Insurance Certificates can be mailed or faxed to the Douglas County Building Division.
Colorado Legislative House Bill 06-1023 -
State of Colorado Electrical and Plumbing Licensing Information/Allison
Updated March 24, 2014