Emergency Preparedness & Response
Disease Surveillance
Mental and Behavioral Health Education
Community Health and Clinical Services
Women, Infants and Children

× Close
Human Services

Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+)

Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) is public low-cost health insurance for certain children and pregnant women. It is for people who earn too much to qualify for Health First Colorado, Colorado’s Medicaid program, but not enough to pay for private health insurance.

For more information on the CHP+ program, please visit their website or call 1-800-359-1991.

Children with their arms around one another

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

There are several ways to apply.

Electronically:

By phone:

• Contact CHP+ Customer Service at 1-800-359-1991. State relay: 711.

Paper:

• Print, complete and sign a paper application and;
    • Mail it to our office at 4400 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80109
    • Drop it off at our office Monday-Friday between 8:00am and 5:00pm or anytime using the secure drop box in front of our office
    • Fax it to 877-285-8988
    • Email it to [email protected]

What are the eligibility requirements?

Who qualifies?

• Children age 18 and under and pregnant women age 19 and over.
  • Applicants with household income under 260% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). See Do You Qualify For Child Health Plan Plus? for more details.
  • Colorado Residents
  • Lawfully residing children and pregnant women with no five year waiting period
  • Applicants not eligible for Health First Colorado
  • Applicants who do not have other health insurance

For more information, visit Child Health Plan Plus.

What happens at redetermination?

The CHP+ program requires that eligibility be reviewed annually. You will be mailed a redetermination application or notified by PEAK that it is time for you to complete your redetermination application through their site.

You must complete, sign, and return the redetermination by the date listed on the paperwork.

You can turn in your redetermination by one of the following methods:

• Mail it to our office at 4400 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80109
  • Drop it off at our office Monday-Friday between 8:00am and 5:00pm or anytime using the secure drop box in front of our office
  • Fax it to 877-285-8988
  • Email it to [email protected]
  • Through your PEAK account

Verification of current income, resources, or other items may be required at redetermination.

You will be notified of the amount of annual enrollment fee that is due, if any.

You will be mailed a notice or notified to check your PEAK account for the status of the redetermination once it has been completed.

How do I report changes or ask questions about my case?

Questions

If you have general questions about your CHP+ case or to report changes, please call CHP+ Customer Service at 1-800-359-1991.

If you have any questions about CHP+ dental benefits call DentaQuest at 1-888-307-6561, TTY 711.

Changes

Changes can be reported via Colorado PEAK or by calling CHP+ Customer Service at 1-800-359-1991.

For additional information, please visit the CHP+ website.

How do I find providers or information on coverages and co-pays?

For more information on finding a provider, coverage provided by CHP+, or co-pays, please visit Child Health Plan Plus. 

To get a new membership card, contact your CHP+ Managed Care Organizations (MCO). See below.

CHP+ covers:

• Primary Care
  • Emergency Care and Urgent Care
  • Hospital Services
  • Dental Care (for children and for pregnant women)
  • Prescriptions
  • Immunizations
  • Maternity Care (prenatal, delivery and postpartum care)
  • Mental/Behavioral Health Care

What Does It Cost?

CHP+ costs vary depending on your household size and income. CHP+ members may have to pay an annual enrollment fee. This fee is due within 30 days of your CHP+ approval. If the enrollment fee is not paid within the 30 days allowed then the family will be denied and will need to re-apply. Some CHP+ clients may also have to pay co-pays to their health care provider at the time of service. Prenatal women, American Indians and Alaskan Natives do not have to pay annual enrollment fees or co-pays.

Which doctors can I visit?

CHP+ works with Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) to provide health care to you or your child. Each MCO has their own network of doctors that you or your child can see on CHP+. The county you live in will determine which MCO you or your child enrolls with.

Your CHP+ MCO can help you find a doctor for you or your child.

CHP+ Managed Care Organizations (MCOs)

CHP+ members are enrolled into a Managed Care Organization (MCO). An MCO is a group of doctors, clinics, hospitals, pharmacies, and other providers who work together to help meet your health care needs. Each CHP+ MCO uses its own group of hospitals, pharmacies and doctors for the counties it serves.

There are five CHP+ MCOs in Colorado: Colorado Access, Kaiser Permanente, Rocky Mountain Health Plans, Friday Health Plans, and Denver Health. The county you live in will determine which MCO you or your child enrolls with. If more than one MCO is available in your county, a health plan will be selected for you, but you can change MCOs for up to 90 days after you qualify for CHP+.

If you have any questions, please contact your MCO or visit their website:

How do I get dental benefits?

DentaQuest provides dental benefits to all eligible and enrolled CHP+ child members and to pregnant women. These benefits include preventive and diagnostic services, restorative services, endodontic, periodontic, prosthodontic, oral surgery, and limited orthodontic services. There will be a maximum allowable of $1000.00 per member per calendar year (January 1 – December 31). As with all CHP+ benefits, higher income families may be required to pay a small fee or co-payment when they receive services. CHP+ Prenatal women will not be charged co-payments for dental services. If you have any questions about CHP+ dental benefits call DentaQuest at 1-888-307-6561, TTY 711.

Please visit the DentaQuest Member Access page. After registration, you will be able to search for a dentist, check your benefits, and download your member ID card.

Other DentaQuest Contact Information

DentaQuest Customer Relations:
Toll free: 1-888-307-6561, TTY: 711
Email: [email protected]

Claims and Appeals:
DentaQuest Appeals
PO Box 2906
Milwaukee, WI 53201

Complaints and Grievances:
DentaQuest Complaints and Grievances
PO Box 2906
Milwaukee, WI 53201

For additional information, please visit the CHP+ website.