Students, grades 9 – 12 are invited to attend the Youth Congress, held on a Monday in September.
2017 Youth Congress Information
- September 25 from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
200 E Colfax Ave
Denver, CO 80203
( lunch will be provided)
What is Youth Congress?
It’s an event where adult leaders work with youth leaders on issues that affect the lives of Douglas County youth.
Requirements and considerations for participation:
- Must be in the 9th-12th grade living in Douglas County
- Parent/guardian permission required to attend
- Credit for Community Service Hours will be received
- Name, age, school, contact phone, and email for participant and parent/guardian required
- Participants may choose their topics of interest from a provided list
- Lunch will be provided
- Participants will receive 7.5 hours of community service
- Community Events for older teens
- Vocational training: partnering with the community
- Substance Abuse: students helping with solutions
- Behaviorial/Mental Health in Schools: what’s at your school, what are the needs?
- Truancy: can you help us with ideas?
- In support of Unified Curfew: does this help cut down crime and create a safer community? Other ideas YOU want us to be aware of?
- Expanding Community Service opportunities for high school requirements
- Youth Representation at the local government level: how to implement (i.e. Youth Commissioners, Youth Councils, Youth Boards)?
Please contact Marsha Alston, Youth Services Program Manager at 303.688.4825 ext 5327 or e-mail at email@example.com
– Check in begins at State Capitol
– Meet your Elected Officials
Youth Services Coordinator Marshal Alston explains the day’s proceedigs
– Break out into Small Workgroups
-A – 11:15 – 11:45 a.m.
-B – 11:45 – 12:15 p.m.
-C – 12:15 – 12:45 p.m.
-D – 12:45 p.m. – 1:15 p.m.
2:00 – 2:15
2:15 – 3:30 p.m.
– Presentations by Workgroups and discussion with Elected Officials.
Youth Congress is a project of the Douglas County Youth Initiative, in partnership with the Douglas County Partnership of Governments