A building permit for a retaining wall is required when the wall is over 4 feet in height measured from the top of the wall to the bottom of the footing or if supporting a surcharge. The following is required for submitting a retaining wall permit:
- Douglas County Building Permit Application. If contractors are being used they must be listed on your application at the time of submittal.
- One set of Engineered Drawings, stamped and signed by a State of Colorado registered engineer.
- One site plan showing dimensions to the property lines.
- Letter from Architectural Control Committee. If you do not have this letter, please be advised that your permit will be placed on “hold” for approximately 10 working days so that we may inform them in writing, unless you obtain the approval letter prior to the release of the permit.
- Retaining Wall permit fees are determined by the project valuation.
Final Building Inspection requirement – Once the building permit is issued and the retaining wall construction is complete, you will be required to provide Douglas County with copies of the Engineer’s (hired by the permit holder) inspection of the retaining wall to finalize your Building Permit.