If the criteria in Persons with Disabilities Parking Privileges Form DR2816 can be certified by a person fully licensed to practice medicine in Colorado, you can apply for a handicap placard at a Motor Vehicle Office in the County where you reside.
Douglas County Motor Vehicle on behalf of the State of Colorado issues license plates and placards to qualified persons with disabilities to park in reserved parking spaces. Disability parking is provided to assure that individuals requiring additional space to enter or exit their vehicles have the needed space and provide parking as close to the main entrance of a facility. The disability privilege allows a qualifying individual to park in any space marked with the International Symbol of Access. Identifying license plates and placards for persons with disabilities to park in reserved parking spaces are offered to those who qualify.
A person with a disability may apply for:
- An identifying placard to be prominently displayed on a motor vehicle used to transport such person with a disability.
- A distinguishing license plate to be displayed on a motor vehicle owned by such person.
- If the person with a disability is also a Disabled Veteran as determined by 42-3-213(5), C.R.S., that person may elect to display the Handicap Disabled Veteran license plates.
To be considered “disabled” and eligible for persons with disabilities license plates and/or placards, the applicant must meet one of the criteria below and have it verified in writing by a Professional*.
- Mobility: Persons who cannot walk two-hundred feet without stopping to rest.
- Assisted Mobility: Persons who cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device.
- Respiratory: Persons who are restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the person’s forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second when measured by spirometry is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg on room air or at rest.
- Oxygen: Persons who use portable oxygen.
- Cardiac: Persons who have a cardiac condition to the extent that the person’s functional limitations are classified in severity as class III or IV according to the standards of the American Heart Association.
- Other: Persons who are severely limited in their ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.
Persons with Disabilities Placards may be replaced to the original applicant with the same expiration date as the originally issued placard without a new verification from a medical professional. If the placard has been lost, stolen, mutilated, or otherwise damaged and the replacement placard is being requested prior to the expiration date, the damaged or mutilated placards should be surrendered to the Authorized Agent for replacement. Provide a copy of the DR 2574 Registration Receipt for the placard being replaced as proof for replacement validation.
* “Professional” means a physician licensed to practice medicine or practicing medicine pursuant to section 12-36-106 (3) (i), C.R.S. (i) the performance by commissioned medical officers of the armed forces of the United States of America or of the United States public health service or of the United States veterans administration of their lawful duties in this state as such officers. A physician assistant licensed pursuant to section 12-36-107.4, C.R.S., a podiatrist licensed under article 32 of title 12, C.R.S., an advanced practice nurse registered pursuant to section 12-38-111.5, C.R.S., or a physician, physician assistant, podiatrist, or advanced practice nurse authorized to practice professionally by another state that shares a common border with Colorado. Additional professionals for Short Term Placards only: Chiropractor licensed under article 32 of title 12, C.R.S and Physical Therapist licensed under article 32 of title 12, C.R.S
There are no additional fees beyond the regular license fees and ownership taxes. There are no fees for disabled license plates or placards.