Note: If you are new to Colorado or are registering a vehicle that was previously registered in another state, please see Info for New Residents
The following information is required to register a vehicle:
Bring in the license plates and proof of vehicle sale or trade-in. A pro-rated portion of the registration fees may be credited toward the same owner’s renewal or new vehicle registration, provided the registration has not expired at the time of the credit.
- Title complete notice – see titling a vehicle for more information
- Proof of insurance – valid and current proof of Colorado auto insurance on the specific vehicle is required to register a vehicle in Colorado
- Emissions test information – See Emission Requirements
- Secure and verifiable ID – see www.colorado.gov for more information
- Notarized Power of Attorney (POA) – required only if you are registering a vehicle for another individual