Designated: May 6, 2008
Current Owner: American Federation of Human Rights
Nominated by: Danna Hamling
The American Federation of Human Rights was added to the National Register of Historic Places in March 1998. The largest building on the property is the Administration building, which serves as the headquarters office and contains a temple and library. Construction began in 1919 and the building was completed in 1924. The two story structure is constructed in the foursquare style and has white stucco walls, blue trim, and a red tile roof.
In all, there are seven contributing buildings on the American Federation property.
Another predominant building on the property is the one-story Brick House, which has a full basement. Construction of the classic cottage style home began in 1918 and finished in 1923.
The American Federation of Human Rights was the corporate arm of the Co-Masonry fraternal order, which was part of the effort to establish national organizations through which workers could bargain more effectively for better working conditions. In addition, Co-masonry represented the trend toward the further emancipation of women. In 1916, the organization purchased acreage in Larkspur to serve as its federation headquarters, a retirement home for coal miners affected by lung disease, and a home for widows and orphans. Due to the Nazi occupation of Paris during World War II, this property served as the international headquarters of the International Co-Masonry until 1946.