Designated: April 11, 2000
Current Owner: Private Property
Nominated By: Carol Meyer
The property consists of 480 acres, with buildings that include a one-story house built in 1908, a garage, barn with loft, and a three-sided livestock shelter. Renovations and additions have occurred to many of these structures. One of the sources of Indian Creek begins on this property. Evidence of Indian habitation has been found on the property.
Edward Kreutzer homesteaded the land with his family beginning in 1878. He contributed to the early development of the County by helping to establish the first Douglas County High School. He also served as Justice of the Peace in Sedalia and Secretary of the School Board for District #5 and #7.
William Kreutzer, Edward’s son, became the first U.S Forest Ranger in 1898 and was the only ranger in Colorado at that time. He served 41 continuous years until his retirement in 1939. A 13,120-foot peak is named in his honor in the Gunnison National Forest of Colorado.