Designated: November 7, 2000
Current Owner: Private Property
Nominated By: Tara Sakraida
The Sedalia School House was built in 1891. By 1912, the one-room schoolhouse was overflowing with students and an east wing was added to the existing structure. The school was in use until 1951 when a new school was built for the community.
The school was built of rhyolite stone quarried in Castle Rock. The building was enhanced by a steep gable roof, and a large gabled entry room of wood construction, coupled with a facade of plain and fishscale shingles above the center window and front door. The 1912 addition included improvements such as gaslights, a stoker furnace and water pumped in for a drinking fountain. Electricity was added in 1935.
The school still stands today and houses two apartments.