The Coroner’s Office provides information to and works closely with other state and federal agencies (Health Department, OSHA, FAA, NTSB, Consumer Product Safety Commission), local physicians, hospitals, law enforcement agencies, district attorneys, public defenders, private attorneys, and insurance companies. Coroners also provide learning opportunities for many agencies, which facilitates coordinated investigations. Schools and community organizations, as well as hospitals and nursing care facilities, also receive education about the role of the Coroners Office. Learn about Douglas County Coroner Jill Romann and the Coroner’s Office staff.
As an impartial, independent agency, our mission is to serve the public; by providing the citizens of Douglas County, medical professionals, and members of the justice system accurate, scientific, and unbiased medical-based determinations of cause and manner of death in cases falling under the jurisdiction of the office. To this end, we strive for nothing less than excellence in practice, integrity, compassion, and continuous advancement in the field.
Deliver scientific-based truth through exceptional and professional medicolegal investigation.
- Customer Service: We take the extra step to solve the problem or answer the question
- Honesty: We are honest, trustworthy, truthful and sincere
- Knowledgeable: We know what we are doing; we are well-trained, certified Medicolegal Death Investigators, cross-trained to assist Forensic Pathologists at autopsy
- Accuracy: We are accurate, striving to eliminate errors in every task we perform
- Teamwork: We are stronger when we work as a team instead of as eight individuals
- Communication: We communicate clearly, concisely and accurately
- Consistency: We perform every task consistently, in a precise and uniform manner
- Safety: We follow safety guidelines and procedures for the well-being of ourselves and others
- Compassion: We treat others with compassion, respect, dignity, and empathy
- Education: We value education, and utilize every opportunity to increase our operating knowledge