A building permit for a retaining wall is required when the wall is over 4 feet in height measured from the top of the wall to the bottom of the footing or if supporting a surcharge. The following is required for submitting a retaining wall permit:
- Building Permit Application. If contractors are being used they must be listed on your application at the time of submittal (Home Owner Agreement Form).
- One set of Engineered Drawings, stamped and signed by the State of Colorado registered engineer.
- One site plan showing dimensions to the property lines. NOTE: It shall be the sole responsibility of the property owner and/or permit holder to verify the location of all utilities and easements including water, sewer, well, septic, electric, phone, cable, fiber optic and gas prior to excavation or construction of any structure.
- Letter from the Architectural Control Committee. If you do not have this letter, please be advised that your permit will be placed on “hold” for approximately 10 working days so that we may inform them in writing, unless you obtain the approval letter prior to the release of the permit.
- Retaining Wall permit fees are determined by the project valuation.
Upon issuance of the building permit and completion of the retaining wall construction, you will be required to provide copies of the Engineer’s inspection (hired by the permit holder) of the retaining wall to Douglas County Building to finalize the building permit.