Registering a Vehicle

colorado vehicle license plateIf you are new to Douglas County or are registering a vehicle that was previously registered in another state, please visit Info for New Residents.

If you are a member of the military please review information on Military Exempt License Plate Issuance.

To change your current registration address please complete the online Motor Vehicle Registration Change of Address Form.

To register your vehicle please provide the license plates and proof of vehicle sale or trade-in. A pro-rated portion of the registration fees may be credited toward the same owner’s renewal or new vehicle registration, provided the registration has not expired at the time of the credit.

Military Exempt License Plate Issuance

An applicant that meets the requirements for a qualified exempt military license plate may only be issued one license plate that is exempt from ownership taxes and registration fees.  Additional license plates will be assessed full taxes and fees.

First time issuance and renewals of exempt (free) military plates can be processed at any of our Douglas County Motor Vehicle locations.

Required documents that must be presented for Disabled Veteran plates are listed below.  For all other Military Exempt Plates, please contact our office at 303-660-7440 to find out what the required documents are before coming into an office.

  • Ownership documents or title
  • Proof of current insurance on vehicle being registered
  • Letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs
    • Must state the disability is rated at 50% or more, service connected, and permanent.
    • Letters with these three qualifiers can be obtained at the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office, 155 Van Gordon Street, Lakewood, CO 80228.  Or you may call them at 1-800-827-1000 to request it.
    • You may also be able to obtain the required documents on the VA’s E-benefits website
  • Copy of DD214
    • Must state “Honorable”
  • Emissions test if applicable, depending on the year of the vehicle
  • Certified empty weight slip is required for pickup trucks and vans if the ownership document is out-of-state and the empty weight is not on the document.