An applicant that meets the requirements for a qualified exempt military license plate may only be issued one license plate that is exempt from ownership taxes and registration fees. Additional license plates will be assessed full taxes and fees.
First time issuance and renewals of exempt (free) military plates can be processed at any of our Douglas County Motor Vehicle locations.
Required documents that must be presented for Disabled Veteran plates are listed below. For all other Military Exempt Plates, please contact our office at 303-660-7440 to find out what the required documents are before coming into an office.
- Ownership documents or title
- Proof of current insurance on vehicle being registered
- Letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Must state the disability is rated at 50% or more, service connected, and permanent.
- Letters with these three qualifiers can be obtained at the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office, 155 Van Gordon Street, Lakewood, CO 80228. Or you may call them at 1-800-827-1000 to request it.
- You may also be able to obtain the required documents on the VA’s E-benefits website
- Copy of DD214
- Must state “Honorable”
- Emissions test if applicable, depending on the year of the vehicle
- Certified empty weight slip is required for pickup trucks and vans if the ownership document is out-of-state and the empty weight is not on the document.