If your new year’s resolution involves finding ways to serve others, Neighbor Network has some recommendations that may be just what you’re looking for – and close to home.
As the senior population in Douglas County continues to grow at one of the fastest rates in the nation, the demand for services to our older population also continues to grow.
Neighbor Network, a Douglas County-based non-profit organization is devoted to supporting seniors in their efforts to remain independent. Network volunteers provide free services that allow older adults to continue to live independently in their own homes for as long as safely possible. Neighbor Network works with your schedule. Give an hour or 100! The organization is actively seeking individuals who can help with everything from:
- Specialized driver – Providing critical rides to dialysis treatments: Receive training and use Neighbor Network vehicle to take clients to their weekly dialysis appointments. Available days: Mon/Wed/Fri 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Choose the days that work for you. (25 or older)
- Grocery shopping and delivery: Helping one or more older adults with their shopping needs and delivering their groceries to the home.
- Providing one-on-one companionship: Weekly visits to a senior for a shared meal, shopping trip, or enjoy a friendly conversation.
- Providing transportation assistance: Using your own vehicle, taking clients to medical appointments, the grocery store and helping with other errands. (25 or older)
- Performing handyman duties: Installing grab bars and wheelchair ramps, changing light bulbs and assisting with other tasks around the home.
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out a volunteer application at www.dcneighbornetwork.org or call 303-814-4300. All volunteers must clear a background check and are matched up with Neighbor Network members based on location and common interests.
If you are a senior in need of receiving member services, please contact 303-814-4300. If Neighbor Network doesn’t offer the services you need, a trained information and assistance operator will help connect you with someone nearby who does.
Be among the first to receive news as it happens. Sign up here and select your specific news focus and delivery preferences.