COVID-19 and your County servicesContinue Reading

Public Trustee

NOTICE – March 23, 2020

Consistent with guidelines issued by the White House and Colorado Governor Jared Polis, Douglas County has closed most County buildings effective March 17. County departments and offices will be staffed to support county operations. County services will continue during this closure, the duration of which has yet to be determined.

Governor Jared Polis, by Executive Order D 2020 012, is limiting evictions, foreclosures, and public utility disconnections and expediting unemployment insurance claims processing to provide relief to Coloradans affected by COVID-19. 

In line with the Governor’s Executive Order, the Douglas County Public Trustee has suspended the recording of Notices of Election and Demand received on/after March 20, 2020, for 30 days.

The Public Trustee has also continued all previously scheduled foreclosure sales to May 6, 2020.


  • The Office of the Public Trustee is available by email [email protected] or phone 303.660.7417 to homeowners in foreclosure.
  • If you are a homeowner who has requested or will be requesting cure figures to bring your loan current, we will require you to wire funds for immediate processing.
  • Cure funds wired to the Public Trustee will stop the foreclosure process.

Release of Deed of Trust

  • If you are a lender, title company, or homeowner inquiring about the status of a Release of Deed of Trust, we are currently experiencing a high volume and we are processing in the order received*.
  • We will continue to process electronic and paper releases, however, please note paper releases received by USPS/FedEx/UPS or previously by courier will have a longer turnaround time.
  • If you are a lender that does not currently submit electronically, you may reach out to the vendors (CSC & Simplifile) that provide electronic services to establish a faster means of processing for your customers.

*If you submitted a release electronically that requires urgent attention, please email [email protected] with electronic details including package name and number and submitted date. Please DO NOT use this email if you are simply checking on the status.

The best way to reach the Public Trustee is to send an email to [email protected]. All emails will receive a response within 24 hours. Urgent requests will be prioritized. Please remember to include all contact information.

Attention Foreclosed Homeowners:

Loss Mitigation -If you believe that your lender or servicer has failed to provide a single point of contact (38-38-103.1 CRS) or they are still pursuing foreclosure even though you have submitted a completed loss mitigation application or you have been offered and have accepted a loss mitigation option (38-38-103.2 CRS), you may file a complaint with the Colorado Attorney General (720-508-6006) or the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (855-411-2372) or both. However, the filing of a complaint in and of itself will not stop the foreclosure process.
Excess Sale Proceeds – When your home sells for more than was owed to the foreclosing lender, you may be entitled to some or the entire excess amount. However, if there are any liens on your home or if you are behind in your HOA dues, we may have to pay those liens first. Please contact our office to find out if you may be able to receive the funds at 303-660-7417. If you contact us directly, there is no cost to you to claim the excess amount due to you.

Public Notices

Colorado Community Newspapers publish weekly Douglas County foreclosure notices in the Douglas County NewsPress, Highlands Ranch Herald, Parker Chronicle and Lone Tree Voice. Each foreclosure is published for five weeks prior to the sale.

Public Trustee Sale Information

The Douglas County Public Trustee Foreclosure Sale is held each Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. at 402 Wilcox, Castle Rock, Colorado 80104.

After 5:00 p.m. on Monday before the sale, the current presale list can be accessed at Foreclosure Property Search.  In the area marked sale date, click on the calendar and enter the upcoming Wednesday date of sale. Please be sure to put the same date in both the from and to dates. The requested sale list will populate when you press the search button.




The Douglas County Public Trustees Office mission is to serve Douglas County citizens effectively and efficiently through quality professional staff in the performance of the functions and exercise of powers conferred by Title 38 of the Colorado Revised Statutes to include the release of deeds of trust, foreclosure of deeds of trust and tax escrow accounts for land purchase contracts.

Our staff is dedicated to fairness for all parties involved in the foreclosure process by affording the owner of the property a fair opportunity to protect his/her interest in the property while affording an opportunity for the lenders and lien holders to exercise their rights and remedies.

The Public Trustee does not give legal advice, handle Tax Sales (Contact the County Treasurer at 303.660.7455), release private trustee mortgage transactions, have access to the foreclosed property, handle Federal Auctions such as HUD or VA or Have information regarding liens on foreclosed property (Contact the Douglas County Clerk and Recorder (303-660-7469).

Additional Resources