NOTICE – March 17, 2020
Consistent with guidelines issued by the White House and Colorado Governor Jared Polis, Douglas County has closed most County buildings effective March 17. County departments and offices will be staffed to support county operations. County services will continue during this closure, the duration of which has yet to be determined.
- All eligible citizens age 21 and older may renew vehicle registration online. (Previously restricted to 21-65 years of age.)
- Visit mydmv.colorado.gov for online motor vehicle services. This is a trusted and verified Colorado State website. (Beware of third-party sites that charge extra fees for these services.)
- Counties may waive late fees for vehicle registration and renewals during the period of the Governor’s emergency order.
- The Douglas County Driver License office is closed to the public and the following services are NOT available: Driver License and ID services
The Douglas County Clerk & Recorder, Merlin Klotz serves the following roles:
- Chief Election Official of Douglas County
- Agent of the State of Colorado for motor vehicle titling and licensing
- Ex-officio recorder of property and other legal documents for Douglas County
- Agent of the State of Colorado for issuing marriage licenses and certificates
- Clerk to the Board of Douglas County Commissioner
If you are seeking information on a Colorado Open Records Request for the Clerk and Recorder’s Office, please visit Open Records.
Customer Feedback Survey
We value your opinion. Please take a moment to fill out a Customer Feedback Survey if you have made transactions online or in person. Thank you for your feedback!
Clerk and Recorder Departments
You may contact any of the Clerk and Recorder divisions by calling 303.660.7469 or view the list below to find a specific division.
- Clerk to the Board – The Clerk to the Board attends public hearings, business meetings, and other special meetings conducted by the Board of County Commissioners and maintains the official records of those meetings. An audio copy of the Board of County Commissioners’ proceedings may be obtained by contacting the Clerk to the Board at 303-660-7422.
- Driver License – As an agent for the State of Colorado, the County Clerk & Recorder operates the Driver License office in Castle Rock. At this office, citizens may renew their driver’s license, change their address and get a Colorado ID.
- Elections – The Election and Registration Division is responsible for conducting elections in Douglas County to include National, State, and local City and County elections, special districts, school boards, and any other elections as required by Colorado law.
- Motor Vehicle – The Motor Vehicle Division performs services as an agent for the State of Colorado and is responsible for the titling and registration of motor vehicles in Douglas County. The Motor Vehicle Division also is responsible for the collection of taxes and fees as set by Colorado law.
- Recording – The duties of the Recording Division, as set forth by Colorado law, including the recording, indexing, and preserving of permanent public documents, primarily real estate records. The recording division is also responsible for issuing marriage licenses in Douglas County and is also a passport acceptance center.