Due to current COVID-19 Safer-at-Home guidelines, the Douglas County Office of Clerk and Recorder is offering online, phone and Paperwork Drop Box transactions for available services in Motor Vehicle, Recording, Elections and Clerk to the Board. Customers submitting paperwork will be contacted to schedule an in-person appointment if necessary.
Please click here for a detailed list of customer service options.
The Douglas County Clerk & Recorder, Merlin Klotz serves the following roles:
- Chief Election Official of Douglas County
- Agent of the State of Colorado for motor vehicle titling and licensing
- Ex-officio recorder of property and other legal documents for Douglas County
- Agent of the State of Colorado for issuing marriage licenses and certificates
- Clerk to the Board of Douglas County Commissioner
If you are seeking information on a Colorado Open Records Request for the Clerk and Recorder’s Office, please visit Open Records.
Customer Feedback Survey
We value your opinion. Please take a moment to fill out a Customer Feedback Survey if you have made transactions online or in person. Thank you for your feedback!
Clerk and Recorder Departments
You may contact any of the Clerk and Recorder divisions by calling 303.660.7469 or view the list below to find a specific division.
- Clerk to the Board – The Clerk to the Board attends public hearings, business meetings, and other special meetings conducted by the Board of County Commissioners and maintains the official records of those meetings. An audio copy of the Board of County Commissioners’ proceedings may be obtained by contacting the Clerk to the Board at 303-660-7483.
- Driver License – As an agent for the State of Colorado, the County Clerk & Recorder operates the Driver License office in Castle Rock. At this office, citizens may renew their driver’s license, change their address and get a Colorado ID.
- Elections – The Election and Registration Division is responsible for conducting elections in Douglas County to include National, State, and local City and County elections, special districts, school boards, and any other elections as required by Colorado law.
- Motor Vehicle – The Motor Vehicle Division performs services as an agent for the State of Colorado and is responsible for the titling and registration of motor vehicles in Douglas County. The Motor Vehicle Division also is responsible for the collection of taxes and fees as set by Colorado law.
- Recording – The duties of the Recording Division, as set forth by Colorado law, including the recording, indexing, and preserving of permanent public documents, primarily real estate records. The recording division is also responsible for issuing marriage licenses in Douglas County and is also a passport acceptance center.