In order to title and register the vehicle you must complete and sign all forms required for your transaction:
- PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR PRIVATE PARTY PURCHASE VEHICLE REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS AND FORMS
- Original title properly signed off by the seller(s).
- Bill of Sale (required only if the title does not list the purchase date and price).
- If you have a lien on the vehicle, you will need a security agreement/loan agreement from the bank or lienholder. The security agreement must list:
- Description of the vehicle including year, make and VIN
- Total amount of payments (amount of lien)
- Original, or copy stamped as true copy of original
- Borrower’s and lien holder’s name and address
- Proof of insurance, must be specific for the vehicle you purchased
- Proof of emissions test, if applicable.
- 42-4-310 (II) (A) If title to a roadworthy motor vehicle, as defined in section 42-6-102 (15), for which a certification of emissions compliance or emissions waiver must be obtained pursuant to this paragraph (a) is being transferred to a new owner, the new owner may require at the time of sale that the prior owner provide said certification as required for the county of residence of the new owner.
Please note: If the title or ownership document is from a state other than Colorado, the following may also be required:
- DR 2698 VIN (vehicle identification number) Verification form.
- Certified Weight Slips are required for: cargo vans, motor homes weighing between 4,501 lbs. to 10,000 lbs., all trailers over 1,900 lbs. except trailer coaches measuring 26 ft. or longer not including the hitch, and any truck weighing between 4,501 lbs. to 10,000 lbs. that has been modified over 300 pounds, or if weight cannot be verified by the state system. A certified weight slip can be obtained from a facility with certified scales.
If you sold or traded a vehicle as part of the purchase, keep your license plates. A pro-rated portion of the remainder of the registration fees may be credited toward new vehicle registration.
Temporary Tag/Transport of Newly Purchased Vehicle (C.R.S. 42-3-115, 2b)
If a vehicle purchase occurs outside of normal business hours (Saturday, Sunday, legal holiday, or between the hours of 5:00 PM – 8:00 AM), the vehicle buyer has up to 36 hours to drive the vehicle from the place where the seller(s) stored the vehicle to the place where the buyer(s) intends to store the vehicle without obtaining a temporary permit. The buyer must possess in the vehicle:
- Proof of insurance (C.R.S. 42-4-1409)
- Bill of Sale that showing a date and/or time of sale outside of business hours and signed by the buyer(s) and the seller(s)
If a vehicle purchase occurs during normal business hours, a temporary permit must be obtained prior to driving the vehicle. The following forms are required:
- Original or copy of the front and back of the title, or a copy of the bill of sale (listing the date and time of vehicle sale) notarized or signed under penalty of perjury. The bill of sale must be signed by both the buyer(s) and seller(s).
- Copy of current, VIN-specific, proof of insurance
- The fee for the temp tag is $7.03 plus sales tax if applicable