Wilcox Building Construction Notice: The west doors of the Wilcox Building, located at 301 Wilcox Street in Castle Rock, will be limited to ADA/ramp access ONLY from August 9 to 25.   All other visitors to the Wilcox Building will need to use the alternate entrances during construction.



Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Getting Outdoors
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Decode Douglas County
Open Space Special Event Permits
Open Space Properties and Trails
Park Reservations
Parks and Trails
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth Certificates
Death Certificates
Environmental Health
Household Waste Management


× Close
Motor Vehicle and Driver License

Buying or Selling a Vehicle


Colorado law (SB21-069) will no longer allow most vehicle owners (passenger vehicles, motorhomes, motorcycles) to transfer license plates to another vehicle, or keep their current license plate sequence on newly purchased vehicles without paying an additional fee. The License Plate Expiration On Change Of Ownership Act will improve safety for first responders and motorists by ensuring that drivers have reflective and legible license plates.

Read FAQs About This Change


Purchase From a Colorado Dealer

  • Colorado dealers will forward title work directly to the Douglas County Motor Vehicle Office. Cash purchases may be sent directly to the owner.
  • The dealer should also provide you with a 60-day temporary plate.
  • Once your paperwork has been processed by the county, you will receive a Title Complete Notice in the mail.

Please Note:


Buying or Selling a Vehicle to/from an Individual

Information for SELLER in a Private Party Sale

  • As the seller, keep your plates when you sell or trade-in your vehicle.
  • Read the back of the Colorado title carefully so that it is filled in correctly.

Complete the following documentation:

  • Title – property assigned. Keep a photocopy for your records.
  • Bill of sale indicating purchase price (if not disclosed on the title). Click here for Bill of Sale form. Both seller and buyer should keep a Bill of Sale for their records.
  • Odometer disclosure statement if the vehicle is less than ten years old (usually on the title document).
  • A notarized Power of Attorney (POA) is required if selling on behalf of another individual
  • Within 5 days of selling your vehicle, complete the Release of Liability form online.
  • Proof of emissions test, if applicable.
    • 42-4-310 (II) (A) If title to a roadworthy motor vehicle, as defined in section 42-6-102 (15), for which a certification of emissions compliance or emissions waiver must be obtained pursuant to this paragraph (a) is being transferred to a new owner, the new owner may require at the time of sale that the prior owner provide said certification as required for the county of residence of the new owner.

Information for BUYER in a Private Party Sale

In order to title and register the vehicle you must complete and sign all forms required for your transaction:

    • Original title properly signed off by the seller(s).
    • Bill of Sale (required only if the title does not list the purchase date and price).
    • If you have a lien on the vehicle, you will need a security agreement/loan agreement from the bank or lienholder. The security agreement must list:
      • Description of the vehicle including year, make and VIN
      • Total amount of payments (amount of lien)
      • Original, or copy stamped as true copy of original
      • Borrower’s and lien holder’s name and address
    • Proof of insurance, must be specific for the vehicle you purchased
    • Proof of emissions test, if applicable.
      • 42-4-310 (II) (A) If title to a roadworthy motor vehicle, as defined in section 42-6-102 (15), for which a certification of emissions compliance or emissions waiver must be obtained pursuant to this paragraph (a) is being transferred to a new owner, the new owner may require at the time of sale that the prior owner provide said certification as required for the county of residence of the new owner.

Please note: If the title or ownership document is from a state other than Colorado, the following may also be required:

If you sold or traded a vehicle as part of the purchase, keep your license plates. A pro-rated portion of the remainder of the registration fees may be credited toward new vehicle registration.

Temporary Tag/Transport of Newly Purchased Vehicle (C.R.S. 42-3-115, 2b)

If the purchase occurs on a Saturday, Sunday, or a legal holiday or between the hours of 5:00 pm and 8:00 am, the vehicle purchaser has up to 36 hours to obtain a temporary tag from the County Motor Vehicle office. The following forms are required:

  • Original or copy of the front and back of the title, or a copy of the bill of sale (listing the date and time of vehicle sale) notarized or signed under penalty of perjury. The bill of sale must be signed by both the buyer and seller.
  • Copy of current, VIN-specific, proof of insurance
  • The fee for the temp tag is $7.03. Sales tax is collected at the time a temporary tag is issued if applicable.

Purchase from an Out of State Dealer

Please Note

  • Prior to registering a vehicle in Colorado, an enhanced emissions test may be required.
  • Prior to registering a vehicle in Colorado, Proof of Insurance for the vehicle you are registering is required.

You may now Register your Vehicle Online or Schedule an Appointment. Walk-in service is available Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM, at our Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch and Lone Tree office locations.

Purchasing a Vehicle from Outside the United States

The following is required:

  • Foreign title or current original registration
  • An original signed bill of sale (must identify the vehicle by year, make, and vehicle identification number) from owner to buyer
    • Bill of sale must be notarized or signed under penalty of perjury
  • The owner on the foreign document must show a foreign address. If an American address is shown on the foreign document, the current owner must establish title in their name before transferring ownership
  • Secure and Verifiable ID of the purchaser is required
  • DR 2698 Verification of Vehicle Identification Number
  • A certified weight slip is required for the following used out-of-state vehicles:
    All trucks, cargo vans, and motor homes weighing between 4,501 lbs. to 10,000 lbs.
    All trailers over 1,900 lbs. except trailer coaches measuring 26 ft. or longer not including the hitch.

    • A certified weight slip can be obtained from a facility with certified scales
  • Odometer disclosure must be on a secure odometer disclosure form
    • This form will be provided by the DMV at the time of titling
  • One of the following U.S. Customs and Border Protection entry forms is acceptable as proof of customs entry: (a copy is acceptable)
    • CBP 7523 — Entry and Manifest of Merchandise Free of Duty
    • CBP 3299 — Declaration For Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles
    • CBP 3311 — Declaration For Free Entry of Returned American Products
    • CBP 7501 — Entry Summary (Does not require a Customs Inspector’s signature)
    • CBP 3461 — Entry/Immediate Delivery, HS-7 Declaration and supporting documents if the vehicle is non- conforming
  • All documents written in a language other than English require translation. Anyone with knowledge of the language can write the translation.
    • All translations must be signed and notarized or signed under penalty of perjury
  • Documentation of purchase price

Custom documents are not required if a letter from the manufacturer indicates that the vehicle was manufactured to United States standards or proof is provided that the vehicle was previously titled in the United States. In addition to the above, titling a newly purchased vehicle will require proof of current insurance. When registering a vehicle for someone else, a power of attorney will be required.

For further information, you may contact:

U.S. Customs Service
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20229

Read More