Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth/Death Records
Restaurant Inspections
Community Health
Child Care Center Inspections
Septic System Inspections
Emergency Preparedness & Response
Disease Surveillance
Mental and Behavioral Health Education
Community Health and Clinical Services
Women, Infants and Children


× Close
Motor Vehicle and Driver License

New Resident Vehicle Registration

Information for New Residents

Welcome to Douglas County!

Douglas County Motor Vehicle offices can only title and register vehicles for Douglas County residents. If you do not live in Douglas County, please contact the Motor Vehicle office in the County where you live.

Registration and renewal fees differ by county and state. As a result, the cost of registering or renewing vehicles in Douglas County may be more or less than your previous county or state of residence.

Under the Colorado Registration Fairness Act, all Coloradoans who are late in registering their vehicles must pay additional back taxes and fees dating back to January 1, 2023, the date the law took effect. Residents new to Colorado must register their vehicle no later than 89 days after moving to the state or pay late fees.

New Resident / First Time Vehicle Registration Instructions

If you moved to Douglas County from OUT OF STATE and need to register your vehicle:


  • Click Here for New Colorado Resident Vehicle Registration Instructions/Forms
    • Print and complete all required forms prior to service.
    • PLEASE NOTE: Citizens moving to Douglas County from out of state are required to provide proof of residency. One of the following documents is required:
      • Colorado Driver’s License or Identification Card
      • Property tax receipt
      • Utility bill (including the service start date)
      • Lease agreement or mortgage statement
      • Voter Registration Card
      • College enrollment documents or student identification card
      • Tax Records
      • Pay stub or other Colorado employer issued document
      • Government or court issued document
  • If the vehicle is being registered in the name of a business, the following is required:
    • A copy of the owner’s tax return (corporation or sole ownership)
    • A copy of the Statement of Trade Name




  • Proof of current Colorado automobile insurance is required.
    • Automobile liability insurance is generally defined as coverage for bodily injury you cause to another person or for property damage you cause to another person’s property through negligent use of your vehicle. The minimum amount of liability insurance required by Colorado law is as follows:$25,000 per person for bodily injury; $50,000 per accident for bodily injury; and $15,000 per accident for property damage. Additional coverage, such as medical payment coverage, uninsured motorist coverage, comprehensive and collision are available, but not required.


  • Colorado State Law requires that motor vehicle registrations must be obtained within 90 days of residency, even if the plates from your previous state of residence are not expired.
  • “Resident” means any person who owns or operates a business in Colorado or any person who has resided in Colorado continuously for a period of 90 days, or has obtained gainful employment within Colorado, whichever shall occur first.
  • The title from your previous state of residence must be surrendered in order to issue a Colorado title for the vehicle. If the vehicle title is not available, a registration card not more than 6 months expired or a copy of the vehicle title may be accepted.
  • If the vehicle is leased, the registration from your previous state of residence must show lessor (owner) and lessee, or a lease agreement may be provided. Lessor’s name, address and lease date is required.
  • Certified Weight Slips are required for: cargo vans, and motor homes weighing between 4,501 lbs. to 10,000 lbs., all trailers over 1,900 lbs. except trailer coaches measuring 26 ft. or longer not including the hitch, and any truck weighing between 4,501 lbs. to 10,000 lbs. that has been modified over 300 pounds, or if weight cannot be verified by the state system.


You are now ready to register your vehicle:

If you moved to Douglas County from WITHIN COLORADO and need to register your vehicle/update your registration:


  • Registration and renewal fees can differ from county to county. As a result, the cost of registering or renewing vehicles in Douglas County may be more or less than your previous county of residence.
  • Prior to registering a vehicle in Douglas County, an emissions inspection may be required. Please click here for Emissions Requirements and Emissions Testing Locations. Motorcycles are exempt from emissions.
  • Proof of current Colorado automobile insurance is required.
  • If your plates are up for renewal and you have received a renewal postcard from your previous county of residence, complete the “new address” section on the back of the card and mail the card and payment to the address below. If you do not have a renewal card, click here to print and complete a Vehicle Registration Change of Address form.

Mailing Address: Douglas County Motor Vehicle, 9350 Heritage Hills Cir Lone Tree, CO 80124

Vehicle Registrations for Non-Resident ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY Stationed in Colorado

Thank you for your service to our Country! Please contact our office for additional registration information, Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM, at 303-660-7440.

Keep Colorado Wild ImageDID YOU KNOW?

A $29 Keep Colorado Wild Pass is included in your annual vehicle registration.

The Keep Colorado Wild Pass is an annual state park pass that provides entry to all Colorado state parks​​, protects wildlife, lands and water, supports search and rescue programs​​, funds trails and local community projects​, helps make the outdoors safe and available to all​​. When you hold a Keep Colorado Wild Pass, a Colorado Parks and Wildlife logo is printed on your vehicle registration card to provide entry into state parks.

The $29 pass fee is included in the vehicle registration pricing total for each vehicle a resident owns. To decline the pass, you need to subtract $29 from your vehicle’s total registration fee and pay that amount.

Click here for more information on the Keep Colorado Wild Pass from Colorado Parks & Wildlife.

I Just Moved to Douglas County - What Else Do I Need To Do?

If you are a new resident, you also need to update/change the address on your Driver License.

New residents should also verify/update their Colorado voter registration record.