Titling a Vehicle

When a vehicle is purchased from a dealer, Colorado dealers will forward paperwork directly to the Douglas County Motor Vehicle Office. The dealer should also provide you with a temporary tag.

Once your paperwork has been processed you may register your vehicle.

If you did not finance the vehicle or you purchased from an individual, you are responsible for bringing the following documentation to the Douglas County Motor Vehicle Office:

  • Title property assigned
  • Bill of sale indicating purchase price (if not disclosed on the title)
  • Odometer disclosure statement if the vehicle is less than ten years old
  • Weight slip, if applicable
  • A notarized Power of Attorney (POA) is required if titling a vehicle for another individual

Title Only Instructions/Forms (Duplicate Title, Lien Release, Add/Drop/Change Name)

If the vehicle was purchased from an out-of-state dealer, you will need a VIN verification from the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office. VIN Verifications may also be available from a licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer or a Colorado emissions testing station. Visit AirCareColorado.com for locations and wait times.

PLEASE NOTE (January 2021): Due to COVID-19-related shutdowns or reduction in operations, there may be significant delay in either state or county Motor Vehicle offices performing vehicle titling or registration activities or the manufacturing of license plates and registration products as evidence of registering vehicles. Customers who purchased their license plates via myDMV.Colorado.gov or specialty license plates at our office will experience significant delays in those license plates being produced and mailed to them. This may result in vehicles being operated by the owner:

  • With an expired temporary registration permit;
  • With an expired license plate not displaying a current year and/or month validation tab;
  • Without a license plate affixed to this vehicle.

To address this, the Division of Motor Vehicles has created a letter that our office can issue to customers to provide to law enforcement explaining the situation, if needed.