Douglas County Motor Vehicle offices can only title and register vehicles of residents of Douglas County. If you do not live in Douglas County please contact the Motor Vehicle office for the County that you reside in.
Temporary tags for new vehicle purchases
A temporary tag, valid for up to 60 days, may be issued when requested within 90 days of the purchase of a vehicle. If taxes have not been paid, the County collects the taxes when a permit is issued.
One or more of the following documents will also be required to obtain a temporary tag:
- ID required – owner of record or Power of Attorney
- Proof of current Colorado insurance – must be vehicle specific
- Original title properly signed
- Copy of the title to prove ownership with original notarized bill of sale
- Pink temp slip from a dealer or your copy of the dealer paperwork
- Letter from the bank or dealer indicating a problem with the lien or paperwork
Temporary tags due to expired registration
If a vehicle fails an emissions test, a 10-day temporary tag may be issued. The failed emissions test report is required to obtain a temporary tag.
Owners of vehicles with expired, out-of-state registration, may request a 10-day temporary tag for the purpose of obtaining a VIN inspection and/or emissions test. There are no late fees for expired permits.
Temporary tags may be issued for a number of other circumstances, please contact the Motor Vehicle Office for more information.
PLEASE NOTE (January 2021): Due to COVID-19-related shutdowns or reduction in operations, there may be significant delay in either state or county Motor Vehicle offices performing vehicle titling or registration activities or the manufacturing of license plates and registration products as evidence of registering vehicles. Customers who purchased their license plates via myDMV.Colorado.gov or specialty license plates at our office will experience significant delays in those license plates being produced and mailed to them. This may result in vehicles being operated by the owner:
- With an expired temporary registration permit;
- With an expired license plate not displaying a current year and/or month validation tab;
- Without a license plate affixed to this vehicle.
To address this, the Division of Motor Vehicles has created a letter that our office can issue to customers to provide to law enforcement explaining the situation, if needed.