Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth/Death Records
Restaurant Inspections
Community Health
Child Care Center Inspections
Septic System Inspections
Emergency Preparedness & Response
Disease Surveillance
Mental and Behavioral Health Education
Community Health and Clinical Services
Women, Infants and Children


× Close

Marriage / Civil Union License FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does it cost to obtain a license?

The fee for a marriage or civil union license is $30 payable by cash or credit card only. Please note that credit card transactions will be charged a convenience fee by the third-party vendor.

When can we apply for a license?

You may apply for a license anytime. Once you pick up your license you must have your ceremony within 35 days.

Can we use our license anywhere?

No. Licenses obtained in Colorado must be used in Colorado.

My future spouse and I live in different counties, which county do we get our license from?

You may obtain your license from any County in Colorado. The only restriction is that you MUST return the license to the issuing County.

How old do you have to be to get a license?

Colorado allows anyone over the age of 18 to marry without consent. Anyone between ages 16-17  is required to obtain an order from juvenile court.  Anyone under the age of 16 is not allowed to apply for a marriage license. Anyone applying for a Civil Union License must be 18 or older.

Are blood tests required?


What information do I need to have to apply for a license?

Your date of birth, social security number, mother and father’s names, mother’s maiden name, your name, your address and any information regarding a previous marriage are required. You also must have a photo ID and proof of age (a driver’s license or passport is typically what’s presented).

Do we have to have a religious ceremony?

No. Colorado allows the following types of solemnization: religious, civil or self.

What is self solemnization?

A self solemnization is a ceremony in which the couple declares themselves married/joined in union by signing the license. The marriage/union is as legally binding as if a religious or civil officiate performed the ceremony.

What is a common-law marriage?

A common law marriage is when a couple has presented themselves and been acknowledged as a married couple; even though there was no ceremony or marriage license obtained.

Is there a common-law marriage license?

There is not. However, if a couple is considered to be “common-law” they may apply for a marriage or civil union license and then choose to self solemnize so that they have an “official” license.

Do we have to go to Castle Rock to get our license?

Yes. The Recording Office in Castle Rock at 301 Wilcox Street, Castle Rock is open for marriage licenses from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Couples should begin the process by filling out the application online.  Couples will still need to appear in our office with proof of age, photo ID and $30.

Do we have to have witness signatures?

No, witnesses may sign the license if the couple would like them to.

What do we do with the license after the ceremony?

Simply put the license into the envelope provided to you and return it to us for recording. Once the license has been recorded, it will be returned to you at the provided address. If you would like copies of your marriage license, you may request them when you return your license.

How much are copies of marriage licenses?

Copies are $1.25 each and checks should be made payable to Douglas County Clerk.

Shipping and handling charges are:

  • $1 for 1-6 pages
  • $4 for 7-61 pages
  • $7 for 62 or more pages

To avoid paying a shipping and handling charge, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your copy request. Please make sure the envelope is large enough for the number of copies requested.

We need a copy of our marriage/civil union license application; how do we get one?

Couples needing a copy of their marriage/civil union license application will need to complete a request form, provide a legible copy of picture identification and provide appropriate payment.

Copies of marriage license applications are $1.25 each and checks should be made payable to Douglas County Clerk. Shipping and handling charges will apply. Please see the shipping and handling charges above for the appropriate fees.

What is the process of changing names after the ceremony?

When you receive your marriage license, there will be a Marriage License Brochure with name change guidelines included in your envelope. If you misplace the brochure and need another one, simply call our office at 303-660-7446, email us at [email protected]