Castle Pines North Metro District BOIL ADVISORY LIFTED, Following the completion of water quality testing CDPHE has rescinded the boil water advisory. Learn more.



Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth/Death Records
Restaurant Inspections
Community Health
Child Care Center Inspections
Septic System Inspections
Emergency Preparedness & Response
Disease Surveillance
Mental and Behavioral Health Education
Community Health and Clinical Services
Women, Infants and Children


× Close

Recording Document FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the fee to record a document?

  • Most documents, legal size or smaller, are assessed a $13 recording fee for the first page and an additional $5 recording fee for each additional page.
  • Transfer documents (Warranty Deeds, Quit Claim Deeds, etc) will be assessed a documentary tax if the consideration is $500 or more in addition to the recording fee. The documentary tax is $.01 per $100.
  • Plats are assessed a recording fee of $13 for the first page and $10 for each additional page.
  • UCC filings are assessed a recording fee of $13 for up to 2 pages and $18 for more than two pages. Electronically recorded UCC’s are charged a flat $8 fee.
  • Land Survey Plats (LSP’s) are charged a filing fee of $10 per page plus a $10 surveyor’s fee for each survey.

What are the requirements to record a document?

Documents submitted for recording MUST:

  • have a 1” margin on the top of the document and a ½” margin on both sides and the bottom of the document
  • have appropriate fees to pay for the recording of the document
  • name the parties involved (Grantor/Grantee)
  • Transferring deeds are required to have the mailing address for the Grantee (buyer of the property) and a complete legal description.

What happens to my document after it’s presented for recording?

If your document meets the above requirements, it will be recorded, entered into the permanent public record and given a reception number. The document is then scanned and a digitized image is created. Once the quality of the image is verified, the data (Grantor, Grantee, legal description and cross references) is Indexed so that it may be found by anyone searching for it. Once the Indexing data has been verified, the document will be returned to the submitting party; excluding subdivision plats and Land Survey Plats. State law requires these items to be retained by the Clerk.

Do you accept credit cards?

Yes we do. There is a convenience fee charged by the third-party company that handles credit card transactions for the County. The convenience fee is not retained by the County.  Please note that credit cards CANNOT be accepted for passport application fees.

Who should checks be made payable to?

Douglas County Clerk & Recorder

Where should documents be sent?

  • Documents being sent via FedEx, UPS, or other shipping companies should be sent to:
    Douglas County Clerk & Recorder
    301 Wilcox Street
    Castle Rock, CO 80104
    Attn: Real Estate Recording
  • Documents being sent via U.S.  Mail should be sent to:
    Douglas County Clerk & Recorder
    PO Box 1360
    Castle Rock, CO 80104
    Attn: Real Estate Recording

Where will documents be returned?

Documents will be returned to the address from which they were received. However, if a self-addressed envelope in included with the documents, they will be returned in that envelope.

What hours is the office open?

The Recording Division is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The County is closed on major holidays.

Do you have forms available?

We are unable to provide forms for real estate transactions. Please visit an office supply store.

Can someone from your office help me fill out my documents?

Members of our staff are prohibited from offering legal advice, including but not limited to: which documents should be recorded, how the documents should be filled out, the order in which documents should be recorded, potential legal ramifications from recording documents.

If you have questions regarding the proper completion of forms or required information, please consult a title company and/or an attorney.

Where do I find the legal description for my property?

The legal description for a piece of property may be obtained from the Assessors office by calling 303-660-7450 or e-mailing them at [email protected] or online at

Is there any way to see if a document has been recorded, without coming into the office?

All of our document data since 1983 is accessible via the Internet by going to  You may then search by name, legal description, document type, etc.

Are document images available on the Internet?

Document images can only be viewed online by trusted business partners that have entered into a legal contract with the Recording Division and been given a secure user name and password. Anyone else is welcome to view the images in our office at 301 Wilcox Street, Castle Rock, CO 80104 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Images from 1994 to the present may be viewed on the computers. Images prior to 1994 must be viewed on a microfilm reader.

What is a Grantor?

A grantor refers to either the seller of a property, the borrower of a mortgage/trust deed, or the person being charged with a lien. Generally, this is the person signing the document.

What is a Grantee?

A grantee refers to either the buyer of a property, the bank or lending institution or the person filing a lien.

I paid off my mortgage, why does it still show in your data?

Once documents are recorded, they remain in the permanent records, even when they are satisfied. However, if you have questions as to whether or not the release for your mortgage has been sent by the mortgage company, please call the Public Trustee’s Office at 303-660-7417. All Releases of Deeds of Trusts (Mortgages) must be processed by the Public Trustee’s office before they can be recorded by the Recording office.

I want to know who owns a specific house; where do I find that information?

The Assessor’s office can help you determine the owner of a piece of property. Please call them at 303-660-7450, e-mail [email protected] or online at 

Does your office send me my tax bill?

The property tax bill for your home is sent by the Treasurer’s Office. Please feel free to contact them at 303-660-7455 or visit Douglas County Treasurer with any questions.

The property value for my home is incorrect; who do I contact to get it corrected?

Property Assessments are handled by the Assessor’s Office. Please feel free to contact them at 303-660-7450 or e-mail at [email protected].

Where do I find my taxing jurisdiction information?

The Assessor’s office can help you determine the taxing jurisdictions for a piece of property. Please call them at 303-660-7450, e-mail [email protected] or online at  

Where do I file a Land Survey Plat (LSP)?

Land Survey Plats are deposited with the Recording Office. Deposited surveys are sent to the County Surveyor for verification. Once verified, they are returned to the Recording Office for permanent retention.

I need a plat of just my property, not my subdivision; where do I obtain that?

Plats of individual pieces of property are called Improvement Location Certificates (ILC’s) and those are obtained from the Building Division at [email protected] or 303-660-7497.

If you live within a municipality (Parker, Castle Rock, Lone Tree) please contact their Building Department about requesting an ILC.

I can’t find the answer to my question in the FAQ’s, what should I do?

Please feel free to call our office at 303-660-7446 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday or e-mail [email protected].