Courtesy of the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles
Are you shopping for a new ride? Consider these tips from the Colorado DMV’s new Pump the Brakes on Fraud campaign.
Newly launched, the campaign features an online hub, DMV.Colorado.gov/Fraud, where Coloradans can find a variety of tools to help stop fraud in its tracks. Visitors will find information on personal identity theft fraud and how to guard against it as well as how to avoid getting swindled in a private-party vehicle purchase, and more.
For motor vehicle fraud, the DMV encourages Coloradans to keep these tips in mind:
- Understand the process and beware of salvage vehicles that require additional steps and can cost more to make the vehicle roadworthy.
- Ask a mechanic to check the vehicle.
- Have a certified VIN inspector verify the VIN.
- Check the title for smudges or inconsistencies that could be fraudulent.
- Check the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System’s (NMVTIS) website to research vehicle history and view NMVTIS-approved vehicle data providers.
- If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is. Do some research to figure out the fair market value of a vehicle before purchasing it.
For more information and tips to pump the brakes on fraud, visit dmv.colorado.gov/fraud.