Project Name: La Liga Youth Club
Funding Amount Requested: $15,000.00
Funding Awarded: $15,000
Response to Application Questions
1. Describe the agency/organization applying for this funding.
We are a church that provides support for all people by offering times of corporate worship, Bible-based teaching, community events, and benevolence assistance. We are followers of Jesus Christ whose mission is to reflect his love to the world.
2. Describe the need for this funding. What is the problem/opportunity this program/project would address?
The mental health of young people is in a concerning state with escalating anxiety and depression. Many can’t afford extracurricular activities that have shown to promote positive self-esteem, character formation, and resilience.
3. What are the goals of the project? How many Douglas County youth will be impacted and what specific impacts or benefits will they receive?
La Liga is an endeavor to support the underprivileged youth of Douglas County, Colorado by offering free athletics, music, meals, and other support given by bilingual, caring adult role models. Historically, we support at 100-150 youth per year.
4. How would this effort promote access to programs and activities for youth who are underserved in the Douglas County community?
Twice a year we offer once weekly soccer sessions that include skills training followed by a competitive game, a delicious meal, and a virtues talk (i.e patience, respect). The champions receive a gift, or experience (i.e. Rapids game). All for free.
5. How will the effort be promoted to Douglas County youth?
Our main partner for La Liga has been Douglas County Youth Initiative. They, as well as Douglas County School District, local community groups, and word of mouth have been our means of promotion to date.
6. How will this project be sustainable and continue to support Douglas County youth after this one-time funding source? What are the plans for the program long term?
We are going into our 5th year and, with continued financial and volunteer support, plan to continue providing sports, music, and other extracurricular opportunities to the underserved for years to come.