The County Manager is responsible for implementing policies set by the Board of County Commissioners, recommending improved management practices, and directing county operating divisions. The County Manager and his staff prepare current and long-range operational plans; review all existing and future planning systems, personnel, equipment and facility requirements; and recommend procedures and standards for sound, effective county management. The County Manager also coordinates and maintains relations with other jurisdictions and agencies.
Staff supports the following:
- Board of County Commissioners
- CitizenAdvisory Boards, Committees and Commissions
- Community Justice Services
- County Board of Equalization
- Developmental Disabilities Advisory Council
- Liquor Licensing
- Philip S. Miller Grants
- Youth Initiative
- Veterans Affairs
The Balanced Scorecard is a strategic planning and management system used to align business activities to the vision and strategy of the organization, improve internal and external communications, and monitor organizational performance against strategic goals.
In October 2009, the Board of County Commissioners completed their first policy document that outlined the broad goals and guidelines for the organization. The goals were provided to the County Manager in order to direct County resources and efforts toward the basic and essential needs of Douglas County citizens, businesses, and communities. The goal policies and management limitations were developed using the Policy Governance model. Once the Board of County Commissioners (BoCC) finalized their goal and management limitation policies, the document was provided to the County Manager with the expectation of aligning departments to the new strategy. The Balanced Scorecard framework was chosen to operationalize the BoCC goal polices and to align BoCC departments’ resources and energy to those goals.
The Mission of the County Manager’s Office is to:
- Implement Board of County Commissioner policies by providing an efficient and effective support system that enhances each department’s ability to carry out its mission.
- Cultivate an environment of respect, support, and leadership that inspires and encourages organizational excellence, cooperation, innovation, superior customer service, and empowered employees.
- Act as a liaison between the Board of County Commissioners and other county departments, governmental entities, and the business community.