Information provided by the Colorado Department of Transportation
The C-470 Express Lanes between I-25 and Wadsworth Boulevard are expected to open for testing the weekend of June 13 following final checks. Motorists will be able to use the new lanes for free until mid-August 2020 during the testing phase of the toll system.
Major construction is complete, and C-470 will now have improved safety and traffic flow. The project added two Express Lanes westbound from I-25 to Colorado Boulevard and one Express Lane westbound from Colorado Boulevard to Wadsworth Boulevard, and one Express Lane eastbound from west of the Platte River to I-25.
Crews expect to begin work to open the eastbound Express Lane tonight, Friday, June 12, and should be fully open tomorrow morning, Saturday, June 13. Work to open the westbound Express Lanes is scheduled to begin Saturday night. All Express Lanes are expected to be open to traffic by this Sunday, June 14.
In addition to the new Express Lanes, the project reconstructed a portion of the existing pavement and added auxiliary lanes between interchanges, improved portions of on- and off-ramps, widened the existing bridges throughout the project area and replaced the bridges over the South Platte River, installed water-quality features and noise barriers, installed Intelligent Transportation Systems elements and tolling equipment, and added grade separations for the multi-use trail at Quebec Street and Colorado Boulevard.
Once testing is complete in August, drivers will have the choice of taking the Express Lanes, which will be available 24 hours a day, for a faster, more reliable travel time in exchange for a toll. All travelers will have the choice of taking the general-purpose lanes for free. On other roadways, Express Lanes have improved travel times across all lanes. To save money, drivers are encouraged to get an ExpressToll pass prior to toll commencement in August.
Tolls will range from $0.65 to $3.60 per toll point with an ExpressToll pass depending on the time of day.
See below for details on how to use the new C-470 Express Lanes:
- When tolling begins in August, drivers will be charged depending on how far they travel in the C-470 Express Lanes.
- C-470 Express Lanes will be free for all motorcycles, with no pass required.
- Free carpooling will not be available on these lanes.
- Get a Pass! ExpressToll saves money each time, at least 40% savings compared to the pricing without a pass. Go to www.expresstoll.com to get a pass. ExpressToll passes are used on all Express Lane and tolling facilities in Colorado. Please note, on C-470, the Switchable HOV Transponder will not provide the HOV discount, even if the slider is in HOV mode.
- Westbound travelers: three westbound toll points from I-25/E-470 to University Boulevard, from University Boulevard to Santa Fe Drive, and from Santa Fe Drive to Wadsworth Boulevard.
- Eastbound travelers: two eastbound toll points: from Wadsworth Boulevard to Broadway, and from Broadway to I-25/E-470.
- Do not cross the solid white lines; enter and exit at the designated entrances and exits marked with a dashed white line.
Visit our Douglas County Traffic Alerts page regularly to see what might impact your drive.
Be among the first to receive news as it happens. Sign up here and select your specific news focus and delivery preferences.