Wildfires Happen. Are You Ready?Continue Reading

Veterans FAQs

Here is the source for information on how to contact us; Appointments, Completing Claims, Following Up On Your Claim, and General Information.

How do I make an appointment?
Call the Douglas County Veterans Service Office at 303-663-6200. The Voice Mail is always on. You can e-mail us at [email protected].

When can I expect a return call/email?
Typically on regular business days, you can expect a return phone call or email within 24 hours. We ask you do not call/email repeatedly in that 24 hour period as it slows down the process.

Do we take walk-ins?
We strongly recommend you make an appointment. This avoids waiting time and allows us to schedule sufficient time to handle your needs.

Who do we assist?
Veterans, Active Duty, Reserve, and National Guard members of the Armed Forces of the United States. We also assist spouses, surviving spouses, dependent parents, and dependents with their claims.

What services do we provide?
We prepare the necessary forms, documentation of claims with pertinent data, proper submission and case management of claims, and if needed representation at hearings.

How do I make a claim for benefits?
Make an appointment with one of our trained Veterans Service Officers who will walk you through all the paperwork ensuring the correct forms are filled out.

What do I need to bring to an appointment?
In general, at a minimum we need a copy of your DD214 and any marriage and divorce certificates and if you have children their birth certificates. We need a death certificate when reporting a veteran’s death or for claims for burial benefits. If claiming pension and/or Aid and Attendance, we need any financial award documents, bank statements etc. When you make your appointment we can let you know specifically what you need to bring.

How do I fill out the documents?
We are moving toward a paperless process. We prepare all claims forms and associated documents and store them electronically. You will receive one paper set for your files.

Can I email or fax you my documents?
Yes and no. We prefer you bring the needed documents to the appointment. You may fax your documents to 303-484-6257.

What evidence can I bring to support my claim?
Service medical and private medical records, service records, discharge paperwork, buddy statements, pictures and statements from family, friends, co-workers, etc.

How soon will I hear about my case?
You may anticipate a letter from the VA within 6-8 weeks upon filing a claim acknowledging receipt of your claim. If you do not receive this letter, contact our office right away.  Register and then check the status of your claim.

How soon will my case be settled?
The time for settlement of a case depends on many factors such as complexity and type. Thus, one claim may take a few months while others may take a year or more.

Should I call or correspond directly with the VA?
We recommend Veterans and claimants to keep in touch with us throughout the claims process instead of corresponding directly with the VA. This includes VA letters requesting more information. This helps us keep up to date on what is being done on the claim. It ensures your claim flows smoothly and avoids delays.

If I change my address or phone number with the VA Medical Center do I need to inform you as well?
Yes. We will not only update our records, but we will also inform the VA as well on your behalf.

Who qualifies/what is the definition of a spouse?
A person of the opposite sex whose marital relationship to the veteran is valid under the laws of their residence at the time of marriage or the law of their residence when the right to benefits accrued.

Do I qualify/who is a veteran?
In order to qualify for benefits from VA, an individual must have served in the armed forces of the United States and have been discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. However, there are exceptions so a person who received anything other than honorable conditions discharge should check with a Veterans Service Officer to see what if any benefits are available.

Is there a charge for your services?
No. You will not receive a bill from our office for any/all services. Our office is funded by the Douglas County Government.

What benefits are available?
There are many possible benefits available to you and possibly your immediate family members. Go to . On the home page click on Veterans Services for a complete list. Make an appointment today with one of our Service Officers to discuss your individual edibility.

What do I need to do if admitted to a non-VA Medical Center in the case of an emergency?
Contact the Network Authorization Center within 72 hours of admission at 1-888-795-0773.

Must be 100% SC or emergency must be for an SC disability. Must be enrolled in the VA health care system. VA will also pay if the veteran is referred by the VA for care to that facility but still call the Network Authorization Center

How do I get my DD214 and/or medals?
Download a  and fill out and return to the appropriate address (on page 2 of the form).

DD-214 and medals may be ordered online at