The Referral Draft of the 2040 Douglas County Comprehensive Master Plan (2040 CMP) is available for review and comment by referral agencies and the public. A separate web page has been created for the Referral Draft of the 2040 CMP. As part of the Draft Referral process, there will be five informational meetings in locations throughout Douglas County.
The Planning Commission and Douglas County staff are updating the 2035 Comprehensive Master Plan (CMP) and have launched the 2040 CMP Update. This means that the 2035 CMP will be reviewed and updated to reflect the changing needs and desires of the community. This effort includes an extensive public outreach component in which the public is invited and encouraged to attend meetings regarding different topics. Input provided from the public will be incorporated into the 2040 CMP. A draft document has been created that incorporates the community values from public meetings held in 2018. The public has an opportunity to comment on the Referral Draft document through April 23. Additional revisions will be made prior to the final document being presented to the Planning Commission for approval.
Estimated Timeline for 2018-2019:
- February 5, 2018 – 2040 CMP Kick-Off event with the Planning Commission – Completed
- March and April 2018 – Public outreach meetings – Completed
- April to June 2018 – Synthesis of public comments and prepare Draft CMP – Completed
- May to August 2018 – Synthesis of public comments, Planning Commission work sessions and draft CMP preparation – Completed
- September 2018 to February 2019 – Draft CMP preparation – Completed
- March to April 2019 – Draft CMP available for public and referral agency comments – Completed
- April to May 2019 – Finalize the CMP and prepare to present to the Planning Commission – In Progress
- June 2019 – Share the 2040 CMP with the Planning Commission, receive input, revise and present for adoption
How can I get involved?
A Referral Draft 2040 CMP document is currently available for review. Residents are encouraged to review and provide comments related to the revised document.
If you have questions or comments that you would like to submit related to the 2040 CMP, please email those to 2040CMP@douglas.co.us.
What is the Comprehensive Master Plan (CMP)?
The CMP serves as the foundation for future growth and development throughout the county. It is intended to provide decision makers with guidance on how to implement, maintain and improve identified community values.
In the State of Colorado, it is the duty of the County Planning Commission to draft and adopt a CMP for the unincorporated territory of the county, pursuant to C.R.S. 30-28-106(1).
Why is this document updated?
This important document is updated approximately every 10 years to ensure it reflects the changing needs and desires of the community. This includes revisions to the goals, objectives, policies and maps.
While approval criteria for various land-use applications require a finding of compliance with the CMP, the competing values of the CMP must be balanced through the public review process to achieve the larger vision of the community. Decision makers use the goals of the CMP to ensure proposals and programs meet public desires and expectations.
The public plays a key role in implementing the CMP by providing input to Douglas County staff through the development review process. The County continually strives to improve participation by utilizing the latest technologies and techniques in distributing information to, and soliciting feedback from, the public about development review and other County activities.