Submittal requirements for a detached barn, garage, or storage structure permit:
- Building permit application. If contractors are being used they shall be listed on your application at the time of submittal.
- Construction documents. One set of scaled (¼” = 1’) construction plans on white paper in blue or black ink. Plans shall include:
- Site plan showing dimensions to property lines and other structures.
- Floor plans including, room dimensions and intended use, location and size of all windows and doors.
- Elevation drawings showing complete construction including all exterior elevations.
- Cross-section(s) from the foundation to the roof.
- Typical wall detail(s) from foundation to roof showing all components.
- Foundation and structural framing plans.
- All trusses shall be engineered.
- Drainage Erosion and Sediment Control. Complete DESC submittal (DESC Application, Erosion and Sediment Control Drawing, Lot Specific Drainage Plan, and DESC Plan Standard Notes and Details). Any questions related to DESC Plan design requirements, DESC Plan submittal and permitting process, or DESC inspection requirements should be directed to the Douglas County Engineering Services Division 303-660-7490.
- Letter from Architectural Control Committee (ACC) (where applicable). If this letter is not included with your submittal, your permit will be placed “on hold” for 10 working days to allow for the notification of the Architectural Control Committee.
Applicants may utilize Douglas County’s approved foundation designs for one story detached structures only. Any structure that is more than one story, or is attached to another structure, or is larger than the following square footage limitations shall require a foundation designed by a Colorado registered Professional Engineer.
- Monolithic Slab – 1,000 sq. ft.
- Pole Barn – 3,000 sq. ft.
- Footing and Stem Wall – 3,000 sq. ft.
Prefabricated steel buildings regardless of size require a stamped-engineered foundation and building design.
Zoning Regulations will need to be met, regardless of the structure size. Contact a Site Development Administrator at the Douglas County Building Division 303.660.7497 prior to the start of construction to verify the Zoning requirements.