Highland Heritage Regional Park

9651 S. Quebec
Highlands Ranch, CO 80130
Location:  Off of Lincoln Avenue and Quebec Street in Highlands Ranch

Size:  92 acres

The dog off-leash area is maintained by Highlands Ranch Metro District.  They can be reached at 303-791-2710.

Amenities:

Active area

  • 2 playgrounds
  • 3.06 miles of concrete trails
  • 10 soccer or football fields
  • Synthetic multi-purpose field and amphitheater (has lights for night use)
  • Sand volleyball court
  • Multi-use hard-surface court (basketball with 3 hoops)
  • Picnic shelter: 3 sections (A, B, & C), seats 192 (64 per section); 2 additional picnic shelters (48 capacity each)
  • 3 drinking fountains
  • 3 waterless restrooms
  • Restroom on north side of Parks, Trails, and Building Grounds headquarters building
  • Restroom and concession building (open from April – October)
  • Parking for 601 cars
  • Electricity and water available

History

Records indicate that Johan Welte was the original owner of the land with an issued Land Patent date of Nov. 19, 1887.  John Beat Welte obtained a Land Patent for the same Section on May 11, 1892.  Research suggests that Johan Welte and John Beat Welte were the same person.  Johan Welte doesn’t appear in census records, but John Welte does.  The only public reference to Johan Welte was a newspaper account of a family birthday party.  Similar family accounts show that Johan and John were born in October, possibly in the same year.  John Welte was a well‐known cheese maker.