Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth/Death Records
Restaurant Inspections
Community Health
Child Care Center Inspections
Septic System Inspections
Emergency Preparedness & Response
Disease Surveillance
Mental and Behavioral Health Education
Community Health and Clinical Services
Women, Infants and Children


× Close
Health Department

Hazards (Environmental Health)

Sewage & Chemical Spills

Chemicals and sewage can be released by a business, residence, storage tank, sewer, pipeline, oil or gas well, or after a transportation accident. Following a sewage or chemical spill or release in Colorado, the business or individual responsible for the spill must report it. The responsible party is defined as the owner of the spilled material. If the material owner is unknown, the land owner where the spill occurred is the responsible party.

Non-Emergency Spill Reporting

Non-emergency spills should be reported to Environmental Health staff at 720-643-2400.

Examples of non-emergency spills include residential spills and illegal dumping of yard waste, spills of less than 5 gallons that do not reach inlets, stormwater discharge from construction sites, and concrete wash water.

Emergency Spill Reporting

If the release or spill involves a hazardous substance with immediate risk, dial 911 to notify emergency response.

Contact CDPHE’s 24-hour incident reporting hotline at 1-877-518-5608 or report a hazardous material or petroleum product spill using CDPHE’s online Spill or Release Report Form for the following:

  • Greater than 25 gallons of any Petroleum Product released into the ground only
  • Any releases to waterways (i.e. storm sewers, creeks, rivers, lakes, dry waterways)
  • All mercury spills and all asbestos releases that meet the reportable quantity
  • All sanitary sewer releases
  • Any deliberate releases (i.e. dumping, burying, etc.)
  • All releases of chemicals that eclipse the reportable quantities detailed in EPA’s List of Lists
  • Permit exceedances

Examples of emergency spills include:

  • Any spill involving a vehicle accident
  • Spills involving a fire
  • Releases from storage tanks
  • Sewage
  • Chemical spills
  • Grease interceptor overflows
  • Any spill that impacts surface water, groundwater, dry gullies, and storm sewers leading to surface water.

Sewage and Chemical Releases to Water

A release of any chemical, oil, petroleum product, sewage, etc., which may enter the water of the State of Colorado (which includes surface water, groundwater, waterways, and dry gullies or storm drains leading to surface water), must be reported to Colorado Department Public Health and Environment immediately at 1-877-518-5608. Any accidental discharge to the sanitary sewer system must be reported to the local sewer authority and the affected wastewater treatment plant.