Residential – New Home Construction

Single-family residential home permit submittal requirements

Note: Any incomplete information may cause a delay in reviewing the plans or issuing a building permit.  There may be additional items required that are specific to certain areas.  These items will be requested during the plan review process.  For example, fire suppression systems.  If you have any questions about submitting an application, please contact one of the plans examiners in the Building Division.  Individual permits for electrical, plumbing and mechanical are not required since the Building Permit includes these trades.  However, construction meters require a separate permit.

  1. Building permit application.  If contractors are being used they shall be listed on your application at the time of submittal (Home Owner Agreement Form ).
  2. Visit the Residential Plan Review Process and Pre-submittal Handout – Building Division
  3. Construction documents.  One set of scaled (¼” = 1’) construction plans on white paper in blue or black ink. Plans shall include:
    • Site plan showing dimensions to property lines and other structures.
    • Floor plans (including basement plans), room dimensions and intended use, location and size of all windows and doors.
    • Elevation drawings showing complete construction including all exterior elevations.
    • Cross-section(s) from the foundation to the roof.
    • Typical wall detail(s) from the foundation to the roof showing all components.
    • Engineered foundation plans with each page stamped and signed by a Colorado registered Professional Engineer.
    • Soil report, stamped and signed by a Colorado registered Professional Engineer, for the property shall be submitted.  In areas that may contain a geological hazard, additional analysis and mitigation by a Colorado registered Geological Engineer may be required.
    • Structural framing plans.
    • All trusses shall be engineered.
  4. Residential energy compliance.  New residential construction shall comply with one of the following three paths for energy conservation: Prescriptive, Alternative or Performance.  Please refer to the Residential Energy Compliance sheet for additional information and associated inspections.
  5. Heating and cooling. Heating and cooling equipment and appliances shall be sized in accordance with ACCA Manual S, based on building loads calculated in accordance with ACCA Manual J or other approved methodologies.  Duct systems serving HVAC equipment shall be designed and installed in accordance with ACCA Manual D or other approved method.
  6. Drainage Erosion and Sediment Control.  Complete DESC submittal (DESC Application, Erosion and Sediment Control Drawing, Lot Specific Drainage Plan, and DESC Plan Standard Notes and Details). Any questions related to DESC Plan design requirements, DESC Plan submittal and permitting process, or DESC inspection requirements should be directed to the Douglas County Engineering Services Division 303-660-7490.
  7. Availability of water.  A “will serve” letter from the applicable water district for the property address will satisfy this requirement.  For properties without public water supply, well permits shall be obtained from the Colorado Division of Water Resources (303-866-3581).  Proof of adequate water supply is required before a building permit may be issued.  The applicant shall provide evidence of a completed well test which demonstrates a water flow of at least one gallon per minute.  The well test shall be signed by a licensed well contractor, professional geologist or engineer.  If the well test demonstrates a water flow of less than one gallon per minute, a cistern shall be required in compliance with the Douglas County Plumbing Code, as amended.
  8. Sewage disposal. A “will serve” letter from the applicable waste water district for the property address will satisfy this requirement.  Where septic systems are required, a copy of the permit application and septic permit shall be submitted.  Septic permits shall be obtained from the Tri-County Health Department 303-663-7650.
  9. Proof of ownership.  A recorded warranty deed under the applicant’s name is required at the time of submittal.
  10. Driveway permit.  A Driveway permit application shall be submitted (Driveway Submittal Requirements and Permit Application).
  11. Letter from Architectural Control Committee (ACC) (where applicable).  If this letter is not included with your submittal, your permit will be placed “on hold” for 10 working days to allow the Architectural Control Committee to complete their review process

Still have questions?  View frequently asked questions below.

What will happen if I am missing some of the submittal items?
Missing items will cause a delay in the review and issuance of your building permit. The importance of the missing item will determine how far we can proceed with the process. Additional items, may be requested at the time of review, that are specific to an area, such as a grading permit or Fire Department approval.

 How long will it take to process my permit application?
We strive to process custom home permits in 2 ½ to 3 weeks. Once again, this is based on a complete submittal. The more items missing the longer it may take before you get your permit. Turn around times are estimates only and may vary depending on work load.How much will my permit cost?
Douglas County does not have a set fee for building permits. We take the total square footage of the residence to get a job valuation. With this valuation we go to the permit fee schedule that was adopted by Douglas County. There is also a plan review fee that will be charged for reviewing the plans. This can range from 30% to 65% of the permit fee. Use tax will be figured at half of the valuation times 1%.

  • Driveway permits are $40.00 if applicable and there may be additional fees if you are building in the Cherry Creek basin area or the E470 corridor.
  • Wildfire Mitigation Fee – $120.00 Flat Fee

Can I excavate before my permit is issued?
Part of the review process for your permit is approval of your site plan. Setback and building envelope limitations may mean an adjustment in your proposed building site. Therefore no excavation can take place until the final approval of your building permit.Is there any way my permit can be expedited?
No. All permits are processed in the order received. The best way to ensure that your permit will move through smoothly is to submit a complete package. Every effort is made to get your permit approved as quickly as possible.Why do I have to have a driveway permit if I am on a private road?
All driveways must be inspected for minimum access requirements. In addition, NFPA 299 requires that all residences be evaluated for wildfire hazard mitigation.