Food Assistance

icon_foodA person or family can apply anytime for Food Assistance. Your income from employment, self-employment, child support, unemployment, Pensions, Social Security, Social Security Disability, Supplemental Security income, or rental income all count toward being eligible to receive assistance. Basic eligibility is calculated on the gross monthly income received, before taxes have been deducted.

Colorado Food Assistance Program Announcement

Potential Reduction in Monthly Benefit Amount Effective April 1, 2012

  • Effective April 1, 2012, some households that receive Food Assistance benefits may experience a decrease in their monthly benefit amount.
  • This is due to a reduction in the dollar amount that can subtracted from a household’s income when the household also pays for heating and/or cooling costs.
  • The federal agency that oversees the Food Assistance (SNAP) program requires each state to complete an annual review of the average cost of utilities in the state.  These figures are then used to set the dollar amount for the standard utility deduction.
  • Colorado reviewed all reported utility costs of individuals receiving Food Assistance benefits and found that the average utility costs for heating and/or cooling had decreased in 2010 and in 2011.  These figures were checked against information available from Excel Energy to ensure that they were in-line with the findings.
  • Based on the results, the dollar amount of the utility deduction for those paying heating and/or cooling costs will be reduced from $507 to $441 and will be reflected in the benefit amount that households receive beginning in April 2012.
  • Our federal partners worked with all states to soften the impact on families in two important ways.  The first was to ensure that the standard utility deduction would not be lowered by more than $66.  This balances the need to make sure that benefits are based on current price structures while also ensuring that no household experiences more than a $20 decrease in their monthly benefits.  Secondly, the change in the utility deduction was delayed from October 2011 to April 2012 to protect households from receiving lower benefits during the winter months.
  • The change that a household may experience in their monthly allotment amount is not subject to appeal since this is a federally required and approved change.

Monthly Income Eligibility Standards

FA Income Desk Aid Rev 1014

Households that do not have resources above $100 and who have less than $150 in monthly gross income, during the month of application, may be eligible for expedited food assistance. This means from the date of application, you will receive food assistance within seven days.

You may apply in several ways:

  1. Print one off from
  2. Go to  to apply and submit on-line or use our PEAK Kiosk computer available at the Douglas County Human Services building, 4400 Castleton Court, Castle Rock.
  3. Pick-up an application at the Douglas County Human Services, the applications are available inside the lobby.
  4. Have an application mailed to you by calling the Douglas County Human Services office at 303.688.4825 ext. 5341.

If you need immediate assistance with food, please contact one of the various food banks in Douglas County.

Food Banks Serving Douglas County

Please view the Food Banks Serving Douglas County for a complete listing and contact information.

Call ahead to determine eligibility and hours of operation. Each food bank has different days and times of operation.

All food banks request that those seeking services bring a photo ID, and proof of current address – such as a utility bill and/or phone bill when visiting the food bank.

WIC (Women, Infants and Children)

A program through the Tri-County Health Department offers free groceries and nutrition counseling for children up to age five and to pregnant and breastfeeding women. Qualifying people must live in Adams, Arapahoe or Douglas Counties, and meet specific income guidelines.