Wildfires Happen. Are You Ready?Continue Reading

Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND) / Aid to the Blind (AB)

Money for disabled adults 18 through 59

The Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND) program provides cash assistance to low-income Colorado residents, age 18-59, who have at least a six month total disability that precludes them from working.

The Aid to the Blind program serves people under age 60 who have at least a six month total disability that precludes them from working.

The purpose of the programs is to provide interim financial assistance while waiting for approval of Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Medical assistance is not provided through these programs.

To qualify for the AND or AB program benefits, you must meet these eligibility requirements:

  • Must be 18-59 years of age for AND under 60 for AB
  • Must be a citizen of the United States, a naturalized citizen, or an eligible legal resident
  • Must be a resident of Colorado and Douglas County
  • Must apply for SSI at Social Security Administration
  • Must meet the income and resource limits
  • Be certified by a Colorado licensed doctor as being disabled for at least six months without the ability to do any kind of work
    • For AND, print the doctor’s form, the Med 9 and take it to your doctor to be completed
    • For AB, print the AB 5 and take it to your optometrist or ophthalmologist to be completed

Income cannot exceed $189 per month. Examples of countable income include Social Security benefits, SSI, Veteran’s Assistance, retirement pension, disability benefits, wages, etc.

Resources must be valued at $2,000 or less for an individual or $3,000 for a married couple. Examples of countable resources include cash, checking or savings accounts, certificates of deposit, vehicles, recreational vehicles, secondary property, stocks, bonds, investment retirement accounts, burial contracts or life insurance policies.

You may file an application one of three ways:

  1. Pick up an application at the Douglas County Human Services Office between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
  2. Have an application mailed to you by calling 303-688-4825
  3. Complete an application at