Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)

Money for families with children or relatives raising children

(TANF/Colorado Works)

There are several different methods that you may receive financial assistance for your family or for children you are raising.

Requirements (you must fall into one of the below categories): 

  1. Be the parent of a child under 19, and you and your children are United States citizens,
  2. Be the parent of a child under 19, and you and your children have been legally in the United States for at least the last 5 years (unless you are in an exempt category),
  3. Be the parent of a child under 19, and only the child is a United States citizen, or
  4. Be a relative of a child under 19 who is a United States citizen or has been legally in the United States for at least the last 5 years (unless the child is in an exempt category).

Some adults will have to work or be in another activity in order to receive the monthly payment.  The amount of financial assistance received is based on the number of people in the family.

Adults will be required to meet with a member of our staff to discuss child support and receiving child support payments for children if one or both of the child’s parents are not living with the child.

Families cannot exceed set income and resource limits each month. If you are a relative raising a child, your resources do not count.

  • Examples of income are money you receive from employment, child support, unemployment or Social Security.
  • Examples of resources are money in your bank accounts, or your retirement plans or investments.

To apply you must complete an application and meet with a member of our staff review your application.  You will need to complete a new application every year for proof of eligibility.

You may file an application one of three ways:

  1. Pick-up an application at the Douglas County Human Services office
  2. Have an application mailed to you by calling 303.688.4825.
  3. Complete an application online at www.colorado.gov/PEAK

Meals for Families

The Department partners with Church of the Rock to provide meals to families that meet specific criteria:

1. Douglas County residents,
2. Have a dependent child under 18 in the home,
3. Adults or children 18 and over are U.S. citizens or lawfully present, and
4. An Annual combined household income is under $75,000.

You may be required to complete a form verifying your family’s eligibility.  If you believe you are eligible but have an objection to receiving this service from a faith-based organization, please contact the Department at 303-688-4825 or come to our office to review possible alternatives.