Health First Colorado is public health insurance for low-income Coloradans who qualify.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) provides a simplified method for calculating income eligibility for Health First Colorado and Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) based on what is called Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI). The MAGI rules apply to eligibility determinations for CHP+ and most Medicaid programs, except for those Medicaid programs for individuals over 65 years old and/or for people who have a disability. The use of MAGI standardizes the income eligibility rules across all states.
You may qualify for Health First Colorado if you fall under the following category and meet the income guidelines:
- Adults without dependent children whose income does not exceed the income standard
Health First Colorado categories include programs, such as:
- MAGI Adult
- Working Adults with Disabilities (WAwD) Buy-in
- Long Term Care
- Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Waivers
- Brain Injury
- Elderly, Blind, and Disabled
- Community Mental Health Supports
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Supported Living Services
- Development Disabilities
- Health Insurance Buy-In Program (HIBI)
- Medicare Savings Program
- Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB)
- Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB)
- Qualifying Individual (QI-1)
- Qualified Disabled and Working Individuals (QDWI)
1. Online through the www.colorado.gov/PEAK website
2. By Mail or print an application (English / Spanish) and turn it into our office or contact our office to have one mailed to you.
3. Apply by Phone at 1-800-221-3943 / TDD: 711
4. Apply in Person at the Department of Human Services, 4400 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80109
If you are applying for a category of Health First Colorado for which a disability determination may be required, you can print the disability application.
For Health First Colorado Transportation please call 1-855-264-6368.
If you are confused about Medicare and want more information about your choices and rights, call the Colorado Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) at 1-888-696-7213 or SHIP@drcog.org. You may also learn more at www.dora.colorado.gov/SHIP.
To learn more about protecting yourself against Medicare fraud or abuse, you can contact the Senior Medicare Patrol at 1-800-503-5190 or www.dora.colorado.gov/MedicareHelp.