Stage 1 Fire Restrictions in place for Unincorporated Douglas CountyContinue Reading

Child Protective Services

To Report Child Abuse or Neglect call 303.663.6270 or 1-844-CO-4-Kids

Child_Protection_ServicesThe Child Protection Services Division is committed to the safety and protection of the children of Douglas County by providing quality and effective family focused services. We work as partners and resources in collaboration with other agencies to achieve our mission of safety, permanency and family preservation in the community and in families. We respond to child abuse and neglect reports 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Do you need to report child abuse or neglect and have questions? Visit the the frequently asked questions for more information.

Child Protection

To Report Child Abuse or Neglect call: 303.663.6270 or 1-844-CO-4-Kids

Douglas County Human Services assesses children and families where there have been allegations of physical child abuse, sexual child abuse, and child neglect and we work with families where abuse, neglect, or sexual abuse issues have been identified. Our main focus is to identify and address the safety issues that brought the family to our attention.

Our goal is to work cooperatively with families and to provide services to keep families together. Working in collaboration with community agencies, as well as the local police department and Douglas County Juvenile Court, allegations of child maltreatment are addressed through services designed specifically to identify and protect victims from further abuse.

We work on maintaining children safely in their own home when that is possible. When that is not possible, Douglas County Human Services provides temporary placement of a child out of the child’s home. We are committed to working with families on identifying relative (kin) resources for the children and keeping the children in their own community. We work toward reunifying children safely with their parents and creating a permanent plan for the welfare of every child.

Families involved with our services will receive direct service from a caseworker, combined with services from the community and/or other service providers. Other services may include substance abuse and mental health treatment for parents and children, home-based services, and sexual abuse treatment.

To request a copy of child abuse record please fill out the online form. This link it will take you to the Records Request for Human Service, the Parents/Guardians/Legal Custodian child abuse record portion is half way down on the page.

Youth Services

To Report Child Abuse or Neglect call 303.663.6270 or 1-844-CO-4-Kids

The Youth in Conflict team works with youth age 12-18 and their families.  Families receiving casework services may involve youth who are beyond parental control, youth who have delinquency cases in Juvenile Court, youth who have a family history of abuse or neglect, youth who need permanency and youth with developmental disabilities.  The primary focus is on maintaining youth safely in their home.  Caseworkers engage with families to help identify resources in the community to provide needed treatment and support.  The Department of Human Services may refer families to additional treatment resources, such as in-home therapy.  Should youth exhibit high risk behavior requiring placement out of the home, the caseworker work with families to identify appropriate relative (kin) resources for the youth and keeping the youth in their own community.  We work toward reunifying youth safely with their parents and creating a permanent plan for the welfare of every youth.

My child or teens behavior has become very challenging, what resources are available?

There are a number of resources available to you in your community. Below are links to a few that families are able to access independently.

I am concerned that my child/teen is suicidal, who do I call for help?

Call Colorado Crisis Support at 1-844-493-TALK (8255). This line connects children and adults to mental health crisis service across the Front Range.

Foster Care and Adoption

Douglas County Department of Human Services is part of a three county collaborative foster care program with Arapahoe and Jefferson Counties.  If you are interested in becoming a foster or adoptive parent please visit or call 303.636.1KID.

Our values and philosophy are:

  • All clients are treated and serviced with respect and dignity;
  • Children have a right to a safe and nurturing home environment;
  • Parents are the best caretakers of their children;
  • The role of this Department and this Division is to support and assist parents and caretakers in providing appropriate and adequate care for their children;
  • Children are removed from the care of their parent/guardian only when the child(ren) are at imminent risk of abuse or serious neglect and all reasonable efforts to prevent removal from the home have been exhausted;
  • Children will be placed with family, if appropriate, or in the most appropriate and least restrictive environment if removal from the home is necessary;