Frequently Asked Questions

Gravel Road Maintenance

 I live on a gravel road. How often is my road graded?

Several factors determine how often a gravel road is graded. The volume of traffic, speed of traffic, and weather conditions heavily affect the condition of a road. Washboards and potholes typically occur on curves and near stop signs. Reduction of speeds can help reduce the washboards in those areas. The District Supervisor responsible for that roadway will periodically check the condition of your roadway and will schedule the appropriate maintenance. For specific questions on your gravel road, please call (303) 660-7480 or email us at

Pothole Repair

What causes a pothole in a paved street and how do I report a pothole?

Potholes occur when water permeates the pavement and softens the soil beneath it, creating a depression in the surface of the street. Because freeze/thaw cycles accelerate the process, many potholes surface during the winter and spring months. Please call (303) 660-7480 or email us at to report a pothole.

Sand and Debris on Streets

When does the County sweep streets?

During the winter months, sand is used to provide traction on snow and ice packed roads. The County deploys sweepers after snowstorms to remove sand from streets as quickly as possible. During the non-winter months, streets are swept to remove debris and construction materials.

Gravel road paving

I live on a residential gravel road and would like to have it paved. Who do I talk to?

Douglas County has two methods of partnering with residents to pave residential gravel roads. Both require financial participation from property owners benefiting from the improvements. For more information on forming a paving district, please call (303) 660-7480 or email us at

Dead Trees in the Right-of-way

How do I get a dead tree removed that is within the right-of-way.

Douglas County will remove dead trees within the right-of-way if they pose a health hazard to the public. Property owners, however, are responsible for the removal of dead trees that are within their property. If you would like to report a dead tree within the right-of-way, please call (303) 660-7480 or email us at

Dust from Gravel Roads

My gravel road is dusty. How can I get dust suppressant applied?

The County applies dust suppressant material to heavily traveled gravel roads as budget allows. The budget for dust suppression allows for treatment of a limited number of residential roadways. The County requires financial participation from residents for the cost of dust suppression material if suppression on additional roads is requested. Residents wanting dust suppressant material applied to their roadway can contact Road and Bridge at (303) 660-7480 or email us at

Algae or Ice on Sidewalk

I have water crossing the sidewalk and into the street and it is forming a layer of algae on the sidewalk in the summer months. What can be done?

Water will often collect and discharge over the sidewalk at a central point, normally near the property line, due to irrigation, sump pump discharge or storm events. When water continuously crosses the sidewalk, algae can form in the summer and ice can form in the winter months. Douglas County installs chase drains where these types of drainage problems exist to drain the water under the sidewalk and into the street. Each problem area is evaluated to determine if a chase drain will alleviate the problem. If you would like the County to evaluate a drainage problem, please call (303) 660-7480 or email us at