In observance of the Juneteenth federal and state holiday, all Douglas County Government offices will be closed Wednesday, June 19. Offices will reopen on Thursday, June 20, for normal business.



Help Me With...

Select from list
My Residential Property
My Driver's License or Vehicle Registration
Requesting Assistance
Health Department


Select from list
My Property Valuation
Understanding My Valuation
Paying My Property Tax
Neighborhood Sales
Building Permits
Vehicle Registration - New Stickers
Vehicle Registration - New Vehicle
Drivers License - New or Renew
New Resident Vehicle Registration
Adult Protection
Child Welfare
Child Support
Child Care
Financial Assistance
Medical Assistance
Food Assistance
Register to Vote / Update Voter Registration
Upcoming Election Information
Ballot Drop Box Locations
Voter Service and Polling Centers
Birth/Death Records
Restaurant Inspections
Community Health
Child Care Center Inspections
Septic System Inspections
Emergency Preparedness & Response
Disease Surveillance
Mental and Behavioral Health Education
Community Health and Clinical Services
Women, Infants and Children


× Close
Human Services

Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)

Other resources include Energy Outreach Colorado, Colorado Weatherization Assistance Program and Colorado Property Tax, Rent, Heat Rebate Program

LEAP Season begins November 1.

The Low-income Energy Assistance Program for the Winter 2023/2024 season begins November 1, 2023.

Beginning November 1, you may apply online at Colorado PEAK

Requests for a paper application to be mailed to you can be made by calling 1-866-HEAT-HELP (1-866-432-8435).

Apply Online

The LEAP Program for 2023-2024 begins November 1, 2023. 

LEAP runs from Nov. 1 through April 30 of every year. For Douglas County residents, the program is administered by the Colorado Department of Human Services’ contract with Discover Goodwill of Southern & Western Colorado.

LEAP is designed to assist low-income households with paying their winter home heating costs but is not intended to pay the entire cost of home heating or utility usage.  LEAP benefits are available to all eligible persons/households without regard to race, color, sex, age, handicap, national origin, political or religious beliefs.

LEAP cannot assist or provide a benefit for any type of portable heating systems.

After you apply, do not ignore your heating bill.  If you are approved, LEAP will not pay your entire heating bill.  Continue to pay something on your bill to avoid disruption of service.  It may take 50 days to process your application. 

For additional information on the LEAP program, you can visit Colorado LEAP, or call Discover Goodwill at 1-866-432-8435 or email [email protected].

 Household Size      Maximum Gross Monthly Income

Effective Nov. 1, 2023

1 $3,081
2 $4,030
 3 $4,978
4 $5,926
5 $6,875
6 $7,823
7 $8,001
8 $8,179
Each additional person $177

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get an application?

Starting Nov. 1, you may apply online at Colorado PEAK.

If you would like to pick-up an application, to mail in for processing, they are available at the Castle Rock Human Services office, located at 4400 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80109. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am until 5:00pm.

You may also call us at 303-688-4825, to have an application mailed to you, or you may complete the application online at Colorado PEAK.

If you would like to get more information about the process please visit Discover Goodwill or the Colorado Department of Human Services. 

People who were approved last year should receive a new application in the mail.  If you receive an application in the mail, please complete that application and return it in the postage-paid envelope provided.

How do I return my LEAP application?

If you are provided a postage-paid envelope, please use that.  If you do not have one, please send your application and the required documentation to:

Make sure you answered all the questions. Be sure that you sign the Affidavit on page 3. Only select one of the three options. Sign the application on page 4. The application cannot be processed if it is not complete, and an incomplete application will slow down processing time.

What happens after I turn in my application?

LEAP applications are processed without an interview, and all eligibility decisions are based on the application and supporting documentation provided.

Regardless of how you choose to apply, applications are not processed by Human Services staff.  LEAP applications are processed by Discover Goodwill.

To expedite processing, be sure to send your application and all supporting documentation to Discover Goodwill; faxing, mailing or dropping off the information to Human Services will not speed up the process.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • You pay home heating costs to an energy provider, fuel dealer or as part of the rent.
  • You are a permanent legal resident of the United States and Colorado or have household members that are U.S. citizens.
  • Your maximum family household income falls within the guidelines in the chart below. (“Household” refers to those who live in the residence and are financially dependent.)
  • You can provide proof of lawful presence in the U.S.  Some of the most common types are listed below.  If you have questions about documentation that may be acceptable, please email [email protected]
    • Colorado driver’s license or Colorado identification card
    • United States military card or military dependent card, or United States merchant mariner card
    • Native American tribal document
    • Any other document authorized by the Department of Revenue



Will participation in other Governent programs affect my LEAP application?

No. Other government programs will not be limited or terminated because you receive LEAP. This includes Medicare, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Food Assistance, Colorado Works (TANF), Old Age Pension, or Aid to the Needy Disabled.

Can I get help every month?

LEAP is only available from Nov. 1 through April 30 each year. If you are approved, you may receive one or two separate payments and they will not cover your entire heating expense. You have to reapply each year even if you were approved last year.

What about emergencies?

An emergency is defined as:

  • You received a disconnect notice
  • Your propane is low (below 20%) or out
  • Your services have been disconnected

Emergency applications and all documentation can be faxed to 719-633-9098 or emailed to [email protected]. If your application is an emergency, it will be processed in 14 days.

What other help is available?

If you have other utilit related costs or expenses, contact Energy Outreach Colorado. They may be able to help you with repairing or replacing your furnace, for example.

  • You can also email [email protected] to find out what other assistance they may be able to provide.
  • You can contact the Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Taxation to learn more about the Property Tax/Rent/Heat Rebate.  You must have had property tax, rent or heating expenses to claim a rebate for these amounts.   It provides a rebate of property taxes and heating expenses, whether paid directly or as a part of rent payments, to low-income elderly and disabled individuals who reside in Colorado. To claim a property tax/rent/heat credit, you must meet all of the following eligibility requirements each time you apply:
    • You (either husband or wife) are 65 or older as of Dec. 31 of the year for which you are applying, or
    • You are a surviving spouse at least 58 years of age as of Dec. 31 of the year for which you are applying, or
    • You (either husband or wife) were disabled, regardless of age, during the entire year.
    • You resided in Colorado during the entire taxable year for which the claim is filed. (Both husband and wife must be full-year residents.)
    • You are lawfully present in the United States.
    • You were not claimed as a dependent on any other person’s federal income tax return.
    • You meet the Household Income Limits

Additional Resources

Energy Outreach Colorado

If you are without heat, we can help you. Through our Crisis Intervention Program (CIP), we coordinate emergency repair and/or replacement of your heating system. While we don’t provide routine maintenance, we will help to get your heat back on when it goes out.

The services we provide include:
Repair of failed furnaces or boilers
Replacement of failed heating systems
Snow removal to facilitate fuel delivery in rural areas

Call toll-free 1-855-4-MY-HEAT (1-855-469-4328)

Energy Outreach Colorado

Colorado Weatherization Assistance Program

The Colorado Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) helps qualified Coloradans save money, increase comfort, and better their homes and environment through proven, energy conservation solutions.

Colorado Weatherization Program

Colorado Property Tax, Rent, Heat Rebate Program

Many Coloradans may be eligible for the Property Tax/Rent/Heat Credit rebate, also known as the "PTC Rebate," which is available every year. You may qualify for the PTC Rebate if you are a full-year Colorado resident who is 65 years of age or older, a surviving spouse 58 years of age or older, or disabled, regardless of age. The rebate amount is based on the applicant's income and expenses.

Colorado PTC Rebate

Nondiscrimination Statement

Faces of all ages, colors and stages in lifeIn accordance with federal civil rights laws and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Programs that receive federal financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and programs HHS directly operates are also prohibited from discrimination under federal civil rights laws and HHS regulations.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or who have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.


HHS provides federal financial assistance for many programs to enhance health and well-being, including TANF, Head Start, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), and others. If you believe that you have been discriminated against because of your race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), or religion in programs or activities that HHS directly operates or to which HHS provides federal financial assistance, you may file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) for yourself or for someone else.

To file a complaint of discrimination for yourself or someone else regarding a program receiving federal financial assistance through HHS, complete the form on line through OCR’s Complaint Portal at You may also contact OCR via mail at: Centralized Case Management Operations, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Room 509F HHH Bldg., Washington, D.C. 20201; fax: (202) 619-3818; or email: [email protected]. For faster processing, we encourage you to use the OCR online portal to file complaints rather than filing via mail. Persons who need assistance with filing a civil rights complaint can email OCR at [email protected] or call OCR toll-free at 1-800-368-1019, TDD 1-800-537-7697. For persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech difficulties, please dial 7-1-1 to access telecommunications relay services. We also provide alternative formats (such as Braille and large print), auxiliary aids and language assistance services free of charge for filing a complaint.


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Read More