Open Space Enjoyment and Social Distancing
As you anticipate an enjoyable day on Douglas County Open Space properties, please be aware that some trails, due to the location and terrain, have limited space for remaining socially distant from those other than in your immediate party. Please be aware when you encounter these circumstances, adjust accordingly, and help keep our community safe by adhering to
COVID-19 social distancing requirements.
Pike Hill Open Space is a forested property rises from the western side of Nelson Ranch and serves as a connection between open space and the Pike National Forest. The Ringtail trail connection runs from the Nelson Ranch, through Pike Hill, to the Pike National Forest.
Ringtail Trail is a 7.2 mile foothills-to-forest trail spans from the Sharptail/Roxborough area to the Indian Creek Trail of the Pike National Forest.
Address: 6500 Roxborough Road, Sedalia, CO 80135
Size: 308 acres
Hours: One hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset.
- Access is Sharptail Trail, with the trailhead 3.7 miles south of Titan Road on Roxborough Park Road, and then more than 8 miles of trail in. The 7.2-mile Ringtail Trail runs through Pike Hill before connecting to the Indian Creek Trail. Another access connects the property and its trail from the Indian Creek Trailhead and trail in the Pike National Forest, approximately 4-5 miles in.
- Natural surface, difficult due to the remoteness of the area, with elevation increases of 1,000 + feet.
- 7.2-mile trail winds through the County’s Nelson Ranch and Pike Hill Open Space properties on the east, and then the Pike National Forest on the west. It connects the Sharptail Trail to the Indian Creek Trail.
- Horses and hikers are allowed (if accessing from Sharptail Trail
- Horses, hikers, mountain bikes and dogs on leash if accessing from the Indian Creek Trail.
- Picnic tables along the trail at Roxborough Park overlook
- Benches along trail on the steeper east side
NOTE: Hikers and horse riders accessing from Sharptail Trailhead travel 5 miles on trails before reaching the eastern start of the Ringtail Trail. Hikers can also start from the Roxborough State Park visitor center.