Any business serving alcohol in Douglas County is required to have license approval by the Local Liquor Licensing Authority. This includes New Licenses, Renewals, Transfers and Report of Changes per the Colorado Liquor Code. Douglas County also approves all local Tastings and Special Event Permits. Fees vary based on type of license needed.
License holders are responsible for complying with all laws, rules and regulations. Random compliance checks and inspections are performed by the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and the Colorado Department of Revenue, Liquor Enforcement Division.
Renewal Submittal Requirements
The following renewal documents must be submitted to Douglas County:
- Completed Renewal Application form
- Certificate of Good Standing, or Affidavit of Lawful Presences, if you are a sole proprietor or a husband and wife partnership
- Check payable to Douglas County (amount due is based on type of license listed on the Fee Schedule)
- Check payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue (amount due is based on type of license listed on the Fee Schedule)
Submittal Requirements (due before a hearing can be scheduled):
- Liquor License Application or 3.2% percent Beer License Application form with all required attachments. Once Douglas County staff determines the application to be complete, it is sent to the State during the 30-day waiting period.
- Individual History Report – A background check will need to be conducted on all officers, directors, general partners, managing members and anyone with ownership of 10 percent of the company or more.
- Fingerprints – Those who are required to submit an Individual History Report are also required to be fingerprinted.
- Two checks are due based on the Fee Schedule – One check payable to Douglas County and one to the Colorado Department of Revenue.
Submittal Requirements (due prior to the hearing):
- Petition and Report – Submit a completed petition and report one week before the scheduled hearing date. Please contact Douglas County staff for petitioning resources.
- Affidavit of Posting and Documentation – Provide an Affidavit of Posting and a photograph documenting that signage was posted one week prior to the hearing date.
- Training – Complete and provide proof of Training for Intervention Procedure(s), also known as TIPS training, or an approved corporate training program for all servers. Contact Douglas County staff for training resources.
- Alcohol is being sold
- An admission or ticket price includes alcohol
- An event is open to the public and alcohol is being sold or provided
There are two types of Special Event Permits:
- Allows the sale of malt, vinous, and spirituous liquor – $25 per day*
- Allows only the sale of 3.2 percent beer – $10 per day*
* Note: Make check payable to Douglas County.
Special Event Permit Qualifications
You must meet one of the following criteria in order to qualify:
- Not-for-profit organizations that have been incorporated pursuant to Colorado law for purposes of a social, fraternal, patriotic, political, or athletic nature
- A non-profit, regularly chartered branch, lodge or chapter of a national organization or society organized for purposes of a social, fraternal, political, or athletic nature
- A regularly established religious or philanthropic organization
- A political candidate who has filed the necessary reports with the Colorado Secretary of State
- Municipality-owned arts facilities
Special Event Permit Submittal Requirements (must be submitted 30 days prior to an event)
The following documents must be submitted to Douglas County:
- Completed Special Event Permit Application form
- Check payable to Douglas County in the appropriate amount of $25 for malt, vinous and spirituous liquor or $10 for 3.2 percent beer
- Copy or proof of Authorization for Use of Premises
- Approved Street Closure Application form, if applicable
- Political candidates must provide copies of reports and statements filed with the Secretary of State
For additional questions regarding Special Event Permits, or liquor licensing, please email email@example.com or call 303-660-7460.